August 29, 2013

August 29, 2011 – A Day I’ll Never Forget

Today marks the second anniversary of my diagnosis.  In this realm, we call it our “cancerversary.”  I like my re-birthday better, but this commemoration does come with some good news to report.

Monday was my follow up visit.  Last month’s labs had a few questionable numbers, so I was eager to see if things had improved.  Indeed they had!

To bring this full circle, at this time in 2011, my WBC (white blood count) was high, my neutrophils were low, and my lymphocytes were high. [I understand that these terms are not in most folk’s daily use, but if you have followed my blog you are probably familiar with them by now.)]  Last year at this time, my WBC was low, my neutrophils were high, and my lymphocytes were barely existent.  We now come to this year’s labs.  My WBC is normal, my neutrophils are normal, and for the first time since the transplant, my lymphocytes finally inched back into normal range!  Dr. Shah took me off two of my “anti” drugs and decided on one more month of weekly Tacro just to make sure this wasn’t a fluke.  I am so close!  These were the best labs to date.  For the first time since diagnosis, I am finally “normal!”  At least according to my labs!  :)

How amazing our God is!  While I still don’t understand this precious gift of life, I am so very thankful for every moment of it.  I am thankful for the countless prayers offered on my behalf over the last two years.  I am thankful for the knowledge and wisdom of my doctors and the tender care from my husband, family and friends.  I am still dealing with the loss of my buddy, Dave, but I know that we have both won, just in different ways. 

Two years ago, I brought a pile of lab reports to Paul at a Chinese restaurant and shared news that neither of us fully understood.  Today we celebrate a new set of labs that after two years into this journey we much more easily comprehend.  And today our tears are of joy rather than of fear. 

Normal never looked so good!



Romans 8:28  And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose.”



No comments:

Post a Comment