July 29, 2014

He Called!!

June 10.   My stem cell coordinator called today.  They finally made contact with my donor.  Rather he finally contacted them back saying it was ok to tell me who he is. So I'm about to send the letter I wrote over a year ago to Mr. Richard Maloney of Massachusetts!  Thank you for saving my life!! 


June 11.   He called me this morning!  He read my letter and my ENTIRE blog last night!  What an awesome conversation! It's like having a brand new old friend.


Richard is a mailman, father of two.  His girlfriend is a nurse.  His daughter works oversees with children.  His son is in the medical field in the NE as well.  He has only been to Texas while on a flight stopover in Dallas!  He was given many opportunities to change his mind after finding out that he was a perfect match for me, but he never did.  He kept going.

How do you thank a complete stranger for giving you a second chance at life?  Are there enough words?  Fortunately, stem cell donation does not require the same TOTAL commitment as organ donation!!  But it IS a commitment!  He had to take time off work, take certain meds, and undergo some uncomfortable days and recuperation time.  And he did that for a complete stranger with no idea of whether or not it would work. 

It did, Richard.  There have been a few hiccups, but it’s working.  This is about how long they would have given me without the transplant.  And I’m still here!!  I have seen another grandchild born.  Had another anniversary.  Spent time with family and friends.  And I have simply loved living every single day that God gives me. 

And that’s what I plan to continue doing.  One day, one prayer, one step at a time. 


Thank you, Richard.  Thank you for giving me back my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment