May 2, 2015

May 2, 2015 - Today is my 3-Year Re-Birthday!

Three years ago today, I received my life giving cells from a postman from Massachusetts. Even though I am no longer in remission, it saved my life! The 17p deletion chromosome issue I had was something that would not respond to any treatments at the time. The SCT was the answer, and it came through!

When I was diagnosed, I had only been married to my high school sweetheart for one year. We are now about to celebrate our fifth anniversary. At that time, I only had one grandchild with one on the way. We are now about to welcome our sixth grandbaby in May. There have been a lot of changes in life. This “new normal” is real and has been difficult at times to get used to. But the alternative would not have given me this time with my family. There are no words to express my thankfulness and gratitude.

I have been able to spend more time with the Lord and in the Word than at any other time in my life. I see life differently. While there are times that I miss my fast pace past, this slower walk through life helps one not miss things that might be more important than the menial things that distract us. However, the times of aloneness because of a lowered immune system has been one of the most difficult to bear. So, I painted the house! ☺ It took several weeks of coaxing my doctors and them following my level of fatigue, but they finally agreed…using the no-fume kind. Of course, Paul was busy with me almost every evening after he got home from work. Bless his heart! He’d do anything for me. He loves me more than I deserve!

As we celebrate this day of life, we are looking at more possible procedures. My body just doesn’t seem to want to cooperate. The CAR T-Cell reduced the minimal residual disease (MRD), but did not get rid of it…did not bring about remission. So the team at MD Anderson is re-contacting my Postman to see if he would consider re-donating cells for a DLI (donor lymphocyte infusion). He was a PERFECT match, so it would be wonderful if he would give again. It’s like a mini-transplant without the chemo. I’ll keep you up to date.

But today I’m alive and choose to focus on the beauty around us. I take one day at a time and enjoy each moment…whether I’m painting our house, spending time with my sweetheart, getting to see family or friends, or alone with my God. Joy comes from within. And it has nothing to do with cancer.



The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him, and he helps me. My heart leaps for joy, and with my song I praise him.
Psalm 28:7

Oh give thanks to the Lord, for he is good, for his steadfast love endures forever!
Psalm 107:1




No comments:

Post a Comment