December 2, 2016

The Climb Continues

Yesterday, my PA from MDA called to let me know she had gotten the results back from my flow cytometry test. For those who have managed to hang with me during this journey and actually remember what all these various tests are, the flow cytometry test is the blood version of my bone marrow biopsy (BMB). Much less invasive! At one point, the two tests were delivering very similar results, so they decided to spare my backside the pain and suffering of the frequent BMB’s and rely more on the blood draws.

Over the last year plus, my flow cytometry has shown that my CLL has grown from 2-3% to 6% to 12.5% to 18% with some questionable aspects that could only be measured by a BMB. That particular bone marrow test counted it back at 12%, but with the 17p deletion. We were very confused but grateful that my white blood count was holding.

Yesterday, my results came back from this month’s blood test, and it has now jumped from 18% to 27%! That’s a scary number. When this all started, my doctor said that as long as it stayed under 10% we didn’t need to worry. Well, we passed 10% a long time ago! Now the focus seems to be on my white blood count and platelets. As long as they hold, we can hold off on treatment. But to watch my CLL percentage jump exponentially with every draw is a bit disconcerting.

So, this is just to update and ask that you continue to pray with us. I am still working diligently to recover from my knee surgery, and we are little by little trying to enjoy a few things on our bucket list. God alone knows the number of our days. But we plan to live and love to His glory for as long as possible.


“Every valley shall be lifted up, and every mountain and hill be made low;
the uneven ground shall become level, and the rough places a plain.”
Isaiah 40:4

“And I will lead the blind in a way that they do not know, in paths that they have not known I will guide them. I will turn the darkness before them into light,
the rough places into level ground. These are the things I do,
and I do not forsake them.”
Isaiah 42:16



No comments:

Post a Comment