February 5, 2017

The NEW CLL

This past Wednesday, I had my appointment for my regular labs, a CT, and to finally meet my new stem cell team. I haven’t had a CT since 2014. I had wondered why they didn’t do one during my last annual check-up in May, and I learned during this visit the reason why processes had been changing. I used to get a BMB (bone marrow biopsy) and a CT scan almost every time I turned around. Then they became fewer and fewer. I thought it was just because my numbers had been lower. But no. That wasn’t it. The entire protocol for CLL is changing. And it looks like I’m going to have to change the way I think, and feel, about the whole thing.

First of all, I want to thank all of you who have prayed for this transition to my new doctor team. The whole group seems wonderful. Nurse Kellie has been with Dr. H for fourteen years! That has to say something right there. And she’s been at MDA for twenty-four years! She was delightful and very efficient. My new PA (physician’s assistant), Katie, is a jewel. I was really dreading this change because I LOVE my Mary! It was hard enough losing Dr. Shah without having to lose Mary as well. But such is life. Katie has already proven to be incredibly helpful, perky (you know I like perky), responsive, and caring. Finally, Dr. H came in. She is very different from Dr. Shah…a bit quieter, but still communicative, friendly, knowledgeable, caring. She took her time with me, answered my questions, and educated me with regard to the new direction CLL protocol is headed. She even has a bit of a dry humor as she commented to me, “You’re not going to die! No one dies of CLL anymore!” I think she also wanted me to know that she has my back.

I have known, and mentioned on my blog, that two, now three, new targeted therapies have been discovered since I was diagnosed in 2011. Ibrutinib (Imbruvica) is a targeted drug that even works for folks like me who have hard to treat varieties like 17p deletion. Idelalisib (Zydelig) is another targeted drug. They both block a kinase protein. This drug helps treat CLL after other treatments have been tried. Venetoclax (Venclexta) is a drug that targets BCL-2, a protein in CLL that helps them survive longer than they should. It is especially used in patients with 17p deletion, typically after at least one other treatment has been tried.

Dr. H said that the new protocol is not as much numbers based as it is symptoms based (very enlarged lymph glands, enlarged spleen, low platelets, etc.). For months, we have been closely monitoring my flow cytometry results, watching those numbers double just about every two months. It’s been quite disconcerting to say the least. I have been able to tell, since I am quite in tune with my body, that my lymph glands are slightly enlarged. (Thus, the decision for the CT scan.) I have very little energy or stamina. And I spent quite some time dealing with ongoing nausea. So when should I be concerned?

Good question. Not right now. My WBC (white blood count) and platelets are still fine. In fact, she said that she has had patients with high blood counts (30-40+...high for CLL, not ALL) and still didn’t treat because they were still asymptomatic otherwise. Can you even begin to imagine how foreign this thinking is compared to where we’ve been?! My CT did show slightly enlarged lymph glands in my neck, especially on the left side, and a thickening of my chest wall…whatever that means. Plus, a hiatal hernia. Yippee! But the glands aren't as big as an egg sticking out of my neck, so I'm good! So, we are back to the ever favorite “Watch and Wait.” For those of you without cancer, I’m sure this sounds great! Perhaps for those of you WITH cancer, it might sound peachy as well. I AM thankful that mine is not growing as quickly as it seemed to be there for a while. What is difficult, or emotionally disconcerting at times, is the constant unknown. I am thankful for how this disease has taught us to be thankful for every day, every minute; to keep short accounts, to look for the beauty and the good, to laugh, to love, to cherish. I have learned a great deal from many who have gone before me and those who have walked with me. I am thankful for my God and for what He continues to teach me every day.

So, NEW CLL, here we come. We will still be armed and prepared because that’s what we do. We will watch and wait and not be dismayed because we have a God who calms our hearts and fears. I will continue to reach out to those around me at MDA because I was once that person. I guess He’s not finished with me yet.


“So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.”
Isaiah 40:10




No comments:

Post a Comment