February 6, 2018

Rest for the Weary

Today, one of my dear friends is downtown at MD Anderson having tests run trying to find answers to yet another physical disorder most likely caused by the heavy drugs used to save her life from cancer years ago. Oh, the double-edged sword!

Another friend’s life is hanging in the balance, continuing the fight to recover from a lung transplant.

I am on a treadmill currently, slowly walking through life, enjoying the scenery, stopping every two weeks to check my labs…. This is the plan through March 27.

As I opened the Word this morning, I was reminded to “Come and Rest!” The road ahead of us may be unknown. It may be steep and scary. But we have One whose Hand we can hold onto tightly. Sometimes He walks with us. Sometimes He carries us. Sometimes He holds us close. Sometimes these hard times are the only way He can teach us, or those around us, the lesson He wants us to learn.

“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.
Take my yoke upon you and learn from me,
for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.
For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”
Matthew 11:28-30

“…and in the wilderness where you saw how the Lord your God carried you,
just as a man carries his son, in all the way which you have walked
until you came to this place.”
Deuteronomy 1:31

“Even there your hand shall lead me, and your right hand shall hold me.”
Psalm 139:10

“My soul finds rest in God alone; my salvation comes from him. He alone is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will never be shaken.”
Psalm 62:1-2

“The Lord replied, ‘My Presence will go with you, and I will give you rest.’”
Exodus 33:14

“You will keep in perfect peace those whose minds are steadfast,
because they trust in you.”
Isaiah 26:3

“The Lord is my shepherd, I lack nothing. He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters, he refreshes my soul.
He guides me along the right paths for his name’s sake. Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I will fear no evil, for you are with me;
your rod and your staff, they comfort me. You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows.
Surely your goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life,
and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.”
Psalm 23

“I have told you these things so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”
John 16:33




No comments:

Post a Comment