March 14, 2022

A Miracle in the Making

Last week was my month-14 restaging tests for my AVO clinical trial.  I told my team that while I would be excited to see that I had reached full MRD (minimal residual disease), I didn’t really expect to be all the way there.  My body has been a bit difficult over these years in getting to that point. So when the test results came back still positive, I wasn’t devastated or anything.  What WAS exciting to see was that my percentage of cancer burden was down to 4%!!! From 92% when we started!  That just amazes me.  And for that I am incredibly thankful.

But we’re not done.  Soon I will start the “O” portion of the trial…Obinutuzumab.  A monthly infusion, once I get through the ramp up portion.  It’s a third cousin or so to Rituximab, which I’ve had several times over the years.  It is a very effective drug, and I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that it will be the last step necessary in getting me across the line.

Now I could have said all of this in a simple FB post…so why the blog?  Well, there were more conversations last week that reminded me of what God has done in and for me.  

First, I had an appointment with my fatigue doctor.  Yes, I actually have one of those.  Have had her since just after my stem cell transplant almost ten years ago.  As we talked, virtually these past few times, she told me that I am her longest tenured patient.  Most others are either cured/in complete remission or die.  I’m like her energizer bunny.  I just keep going!  She, like many other of my amazing doctors, have become so much more than just my physicians.  They are my friends.

Then I had my bone marrow biopsy.  As I visited with the team of two who were to perform last week’s procedure, I told them that it was my 37th BMB.  The look on their faces!! They said the most they had heard of so far was 20! (And this is at MD Anderson!) Lots of people can live a long time with CLL, but that’s usually when the disease is inactive or in "watch & wait."  I have lived over ten years with active CLL. I was in MRD for a little while after my stem cell transplant, but then it came roaring back.  Six treatment plans, 37 BMBs, I haven’t counted all the CTs, and I wish I had a dollar for all the labs! They wish they had all my dollars for all the labs! :/

God must have a plan for me, a reason that I’m still here.  So I continue to listen each day and embrace every moment.  I have a lot of friends who have had or have cancer and we all agree that it changes your perspective.  As I listen to my doctors and techs and realize that I am one of a few who have walked this path, I am humbled and thankful. Life is precious and He is working miraculous things in me every day.

“But those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.” Isaiah 40:31

“…the joy of the Lord is your strength.” Nehemiah 8:10 



No comments:

Post a Comment