December 7, 2011

The Weight of the World…and a Possible Donor


How do you carry the weight of the world when extra pounds keep piling on?  As a cancer patient, the fear of the unknown is a daily battle.  As a cancer patient with uncommon components, the unknown is a bit greater.  It is easy to read and quote the Scriptures that talk about laying down our worries and letting our Savior carry us through, but it can be more difficult to actually do it on a moment-by-moment basis. 

As a mother, I worry (no, let’s say that I am mindful, prayerful, and thoughtfully concerned) about each of our children…their relationships, their jobs, their finances, their families, their health.  I am concerned and prayerful for my grandchildren, especially Dana with her failed hearing tests.  As a wife, whatever troubles my husband troubles me…whether it’s his back, his job, or his commitment to make everything right for me.  As a daughter, sister, cousin, aunt, niece, and friend, I pray and follow the medical, emotional, relational, financial, and overall needs of those I love.  There are those dealing with everything from the trivial to the traumatic, from simple to life threatening.  They all matter. 

How do we compartmentalize all that is in our hearts and minds?  How do we carry the load?  How do we lay it down?

In my thoughts this morning, I admitted that I am worried about finding a donor.   And I’m worried about what will actually happen when they do!  It’s scary to consider the reality of going through the transplant process and embracing the variety of possible outcomes.  The last conversation with my Transplant Coordinator revealed that she had sent four requests but no one had yet responded.  Today, she told me that one went in for his/her blood test yesterday and we should have the results by next week.  She said that it looks positive so far, and that once we have a confirmed donor it could take as little as four weeks to move forward with the transplant.  Wow!

It's hard to stay focused when I'm tired.  It’s hard to push myself when I don’t know what tomorrow holds.  Of course, I don’t suppose any of us know what tomorrow holds!  We just take one day at a time, thankful for His daily provision of grace.  I stand with you in prayer for the spoken as well as the unspoken requests on your heart.  Thank you for standing with us as well.

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."  Matthew 11:28-30

"Behold, God is my salvation; I will trust, and not be afraid: for the LORD JEHOVAH is my strength and my song; He also is become my salvation."  Isaiah 12:2

"An anxious heart weighs a man down, but a kind word cheers him up."  Proverbs 12:25

“Cast your burden upon the LORD and He will sustain you; He will never allow the righteous to be shaken.”  Psalm 55:22

"So do not worry about tomorrow; for tomorrow will care for itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."  Matthew 6:34

"God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble."  Psalm 46:1

“Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.”  Philippians 4:6

“Indeed, the very hairs of your head are all numbered.  Do not fear; you are more valuable than many sparrows.”  Luke 12:7

“And my God will supply all your needs according to His riches in glory in Christ Jesus.”  
Philippians 4:19

No comments:

Post a Comment