March 9, 2015

T-Cell Day...And He Sent Rest

I opened my Jesus Calling devotional this morning, and the first word was "Rest."  How appropriate on a day that could be filled with apprehension. It went on to talk about a "cushion of calm at the center of your life, where you live in union with God...where you are energized, filled with His love, joy and peace."

My hospital door opened first thing this morning, and who should walk in but my sweet Myra!  For those of you who have followed our journey, Myra is the nursing assistant who ministered to me in such an incredible way the morning of my SCT in 2012. We looked her up a few months ago, when we were here visiting Matthew, and got to hug her neck and talk with her for a while. We learned then that she was planning to retire April 15, just after her 65th birthday on April 9th. We couldn't have been happier for her, but we were also hoping that if I were to be scheduled for anything (I hadn't been at that point) that it would be before April 15!

After we got settled in here last Wednesday, we made a point to find out which wing Myra was working. I am in the southwest wing, and she is assigned to the southeast wing. Pooh!  Well, I got to see her during my walks, and she is as loving, kind, and encouraging as ever. She asked me my room number and said she would make sure to get by on my cell day. Which brings us to today.  She walked into my room and told me that they had reassigned her to my wing for the day!  She had forgotten that this was my exact cell day. She was just tickled to have a day with me. When I told her what day it was, we both knew right then that God had orchestrated that move!  Myra had been with me on cell day #1 and she would be with me on cell day #2.

The last line of this morning's devotion reads "Live in the light of my presence, and your light will shine brightly into the lives of others."

"But the fruit of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control."  Galations 5:22-23a

Myra has spent a lifetime exhibiting these characteristics to her patients and I'm sure to her peers. She was a huge blessing to me on one of the biggest, scariest days of my life. And now God has sent her to me again. She is like God with skin on....

"No one has ever seen God; but if we love one another, God lives in us and His love is made complete in us."  1 John 4:12

"Let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven."  Matthew 5:16

Myra, as you begin this new phase of life, as you visit your mother in California, as you dote on your grand and great grandchildren, may "rest" be part of your reward. You have "finished the race," you have "kept the faith.  Now there is in store a crown of righteousness, which the Lord will award you on that day, and to all who have longed for his appearing."  2 Timothy 4:7-8

Thank you, Myra. Well done.




1 comment:

  1. I think it is wonderful that God planned for you to have Myra on your two most important days. I also think it is such a blessing when people give such love to those undergoing challenges. God's work is alive and well in Myra! Brenda Breeland

    ReplyDelete