April 18, 2015

What if Hope DID Come in a Box?

This past weekend, my cousin Bonnie came and retrieved the beautiful HOPE Box to pass along to yet another friend who is beginning her cancer journey.  It has become evident, that even though my hair continues to fall out daily, I’m not going to be bald.  And I have made a few hat purchases of my own along the way, so I think I’ll be fine, just a little thin.

What has been true, so far, about every one who has had the HOPE Box (a box filled with wigs, little soft comfy hats, cute hats, scarves, etc.) is that they didn’t die!  It’s about to go to #6, I believe.  That’s pretty good odds!  :)

I can say with all certainty that Hope does come in a Book!  I have spent countless hours pouring over God’s promises and what He expects from me.  It seems that I have the easier of the two jobs…well sometimes.  :)   At it’s simplest, love God, put Him first; then love your neighbor as yourself…or rather deny yourself for the good of others. 

“Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul
and with all your mind and with all your strength.’ 
The second is this: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'
There is no commandment greater than these."
Mark 12:30-31

Then why are there days that I struggle to find hope?  I know where it is!  I know what to do!  I think not getting to hear that simple word “remission” stole a thimble full of hope from me that day.  But hope is not for the taking, it’s for the giving.  And I refuse to give it up!

I saw a young woman bound across a parking lot today much like I used to.  I haven’t bounded in a while, and I’m not quite sure when I will bound again.  It made me cry.  But I had to get myself together and realize that I was out for only the second time without a mask!  Baby steps!  Be patient. 

I’m not sure how things would be for me mentally without Facebook.  While I am thankful for the simple, easy access means of communication, it has cost us the intimate face-to-face communication of old.  I have so appreciated the prayers, the ability to update, the comments and encouragements of older and newer friends from school, church and family.  For those who have never had to isolate yourself, just know if you do, take your iPad!  But for those looking for ways to minister to people who are alone, stop by for a short visit.  They’ll love it.

As soon as I am able, I am going back to MDA to be a volunteer.  I don’t have the energy now, but every time I’m there I’m given the opportunity to share with someone and encourage him or her in some way.  I do not believe that God is going to allow this disease to go to waste.  He allows us to endure certain hardships so we can be a blessing to others.

He comforts us in all our troubles so that we can comfort others.
When they are troubled, we will be able to give them the
 same comfort God has given us.
2 Corinthians 1:4


I have spoken to you with great frankness;
I take great pride in you.  I am greatly encouraged;
in all our troubles my joy knows no bounds.
2 Corinthians 7:4

And what’s that saying about stuff always coming in 3’s?!  Sometimes it just feels so overwhelming.  Two steps forward, three steps back. 

“We are afflicted in every way, but not crushed; perplexed, but not driven to despair; persecuted, but not forsaken; struck down, but not destroyed;”
2 Corinthians 4:8-9

“In this you rejoice, though now for a little while, if necessary, you have been grieved by various trials, so that the tested genuineness of your faith—more precious than gold that perishes though it is tested by fire—may be found to result in praise and glory and honor at the revelation of Jesus Christ. Though you have not seen him, you love him. Though you do not now see him, you believe in him and rejoice with joy that is inexpressible and filled with glory, obtaining the outcome of your faith, the salvation of your souls.”
1 Peter 1:6-9

And my God will supply every need of yours according to his
riches in glory in Christ Jesus.
Phillippians 4:19


What’s in your box?






1 comment: