February 18, 2016

The Crazy Cycle of Life

As a mother of two, step-mom of four, and having led a youth group for eighteen years, I know a LOT of young moms! I smiled to myself today as a sweet friend confessed to her Facebook family that one daughter was propped up in her big highchair enjoying her dinner, watching a video, while she was being able to get some work done. Other moms chimed in with their admissions of how they survive in their worlds. As always, my favorite was my very own daughter’s with my very own crazies. :)

(I have been lying in bed thinking about this and wondering why this relentless insomnia continues to besiege me certain nights and not others. So writing and warm milk seemed a better remedy.)

Earlier today, I had brunch with my friend and part of our conversation covered the wonderful unique craziness of each of our grandkids. I would venture to say that they are not that unique, but rather a sampling, our beautiful sampling, of the millions of kids throughout the world. Not much different than the ones we raised a few decades ago. Not much different than the ones you are raising now. Not much different than she and I. Every generation trying to accomplish the same thing…get their kids to eat and behave.

Besides my young friends, I also have numerous friends my age and older. There are many who are taking care of their elderly parents or ailing spouses. Many are fighting their own health battles. Some are dealing with joints that just don’t want to work anymore and have to be dealt with in one way or another. We deteriorate.

I remember back when I was in my late 30’s, maybe 40, and going like a crazy woman with the youth group, my kids, work, and everything else, my dad said “You’re not going to be able to keep this pace forever!” I remember laughing and telling him, “Of course, I will!” Wow! Did I ever eat those words!!

The cycle of life comes full circle. When you’re young, you somehow have the energy you need to keep up with these crazy kids and all that life asks of us. Later on, you start slowing down a bit, wondering how the time flew by so fast. Then before you know it, your daughter has you sitting down at a table trying to get you to take a bite and behave. Hopefully, you aren’t running around her house without your pants on! But payback can be really funny.



No comments:

Post a Comment