October 14, 2011

The Hope Box

Today I went to my cousin’s house to explore the Hope Box.  Bonnie is a breast cancer survivor, and the Hope Box is filled with wigs, scarves, and hats not only from her bout with cancer but also from three others after her.  I will be the fifth one to share in the Hope Box.

We played dress up with all the wigs and various head coverings.  It was confirmed that I am definitely a brunette.  Just cannot do the blonde thing.  :)  There were two wigs that looked good, one that looked great!  And the scarves and hats were really cute.  It’s amazing how something so relatively simple can lift your spirits, just knowing that you won’t have to look so vastly different…at least when in costume. 

After a lovely lunch, we went to the Women’s Health Boutique who sells a variety of necessities for ladies with cancer.  The one thing that had not made the Box round trip was the comfy sleeping cap.   When you don’t have hair, there’s nothing to keep heat from escaping.  So I got a couple to add to the Box.



I love that it’s called the Hope Box!  How appropriate.  Not only is it encouraging to know that there are things in place that can ease the temporary cosmetic changes, it is also encouraging to know that everyone who has worn these coverings are still around to share not only the Box but also their support.

Hope has many different faces.  It can be a box of head coverings, a card from a dear friend, a Facebook post, a phone call, a prayer.  Sometimes it’s a lingering hug, a gentle touch, a knowing look. 

Hope means different things to different people.  There are several ways to define hope.  “To wish for something with expectation of its fulfillment.”  “To have confidence; trust.”  “To look forward with confidence.”  “To have a wish for.”  “A reasonable ground for this feeling.”  “A person or thing that gives cause for hope.”  “To trust, expect, or believe.” 

Sometimes we say “I hope things get better” and we don’t necessarily believe it.  Other times, our thoughts may be better reflected as “My hope is grounded in what I believe.” 

God’s Word speaks often of hope. 
Hebrews 11:1  “Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen.”
Psalm 21:34  “Be strong and take heart, all you who hope in the LORD.”
Psalm 43:5  “Why are you downcast, O my soul?  Why so disturbed within me?  Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise him, my Savior and my God. “
Romans 12:12  “Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer. “

Thank you, Bonnie, for sharing Hope with me today.  It was more than just what was in the Box.



My hope is built on nothing less
Than Jesus’ blood and righteousness.
I dare not trust the sweetest frame,
But wholly trust in Jesus’ Name.

On Christ the solid Rock I stand,
All other ground is sinking sand;
All other ground is sinking sand.

When darkness seems to hide His face,
I rest on His unchanging grace.
In every high and stormy gale,
My anchor holds within the veil.

His oath, His covenant, His blood,
Support me in the whelming flood.
When all around my soul gives way,
He then is all my Hope and Stay.

When He shall come with trumpet sound,
Oh may I then in Him be found.
Dressed in His righteousness alone,
Faultless to stand before the throne.

On Christ the solid Rock I stand,
All other ground is sinking sand;
All other ground is sinking sand.

No comments:

Post a Comment