October 24, 2011

Walk This Way

Last night was the Texas Gulf Coast Chapter’s LLS Light the Night Walk in Market Street in The Woodlands.  Hundreds, thousands joined together to walk in support or in memory of those whose lives have been touched by leukemia or lymphoma and to raise the much needed research funds and awareness.  A record breaking $1 million+ was raised between the two Houston-area walks.



Along the designated route were volunteers who waved directional signs stating “Walk This Way.”  I couldn’t help but sing Aerosmith’s famous anthem of the same name.  Alongside me were family and friends who came to walk, to support, to encourage.  For all, it was a sacrifice of time.  For others, it was shear determination.  The women in my family all seem to have one autoimmune disorder or another.  It was another trait besides being “tough as nails” that was passed down from our grandmother.  Gaydene has lupas.  Autumn has peripheral neuropathy and in the last two months has undergone two surgeries for arterial splints in both her legs.  They both walked.  Thank you Gary, James Ray, and Amanda for walking alongside your wife and mother…and me.

That was the longest 1½-2 miles!  But the CLL journey has only begun.  As we passed the “Walk This Way” signs, I thought about what God has said about walking. 

Psalms 119:105  “Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path.”
Psalm 56:13  “For you have delivered me from death and my feet from stumbling, that I may walk before God in the light of life.” 
Isaiah 41:10  “Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.”
2 Corinthians 5:7  "For we walk by faith, not by sight."
Ephesians 5:2  "And walk in love, as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us, a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God."
Micah 6:8  "He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?"



We all crossed the finish line…some sooner than others…but we all crossed. 



Hebrews 12:1  “Therefore, since we have so great a cloud of witnesses surrounding us, let us also lay aside every encumbrance and the sin which so easily entangles us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us.”
2 Timothy 4:7  “I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.”
Ecclesiastes 9:11  “I have seen something else under the sun: The race is not to the swift or the battle to the strong, nor does food come to the wise or wealth to the brilliant or favor to the learned; but time and chance happen to them all.”

By the end of the evening, actually before it even began, I was tired.  As we waited for the elevator in the parking garage, my Bethany, my little girl, piggy-backed her mama.  How many times in years past did I carry my children when they were tired?  How often has our Lord carried us when we thought we couldn’t take another step?




Matthew 11:28-30  “Come to me all of you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.  Take my yoke upon you and learn from me for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.  For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”

In two more weeks, we travel back to MD Anderson for another round of tests, to find out if my brother is an HLA match, to meet with the transplant doctor and with the head of the CLL department to determine the best front-line therapy, to consider a clinical trial, to decide what path to take.  

To those who have walked this walk before, to those who walked with me last night, to those who donated, to those who stand with me, to those who write and send notes, posts, and cards, to those who have offered in the weeks and months ahead to drive, sit, cook and clean, to those who offer words of encouragement, to those who listen, to those who pray…thank you. 

1 Corinthians 12:4-6; 27  “There are different kinds of gifts, but the same Spirit distributes them.  There are different kinds of service, but the same Lord.  There are different kinds of working, but in all of them and in everyone it is the same God at work.”  “Now you are the body of Christ, and each one of you is a part of it.”


Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path.
When I feel afraid, think I've lost my way,
still you're there right beside me.
And nothing will I fear, as long as you are near.
Please be near me to the end.

I will not forget your love for me and yet
my heart forever is wandering.
Jesus be my guide, and hold me to your side,
I will love you to the end.

Nothing will I fear as long as you are near.
Please be near me to the end.

Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path.
Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path,
and a light unto my path.
You're the light unto my path.

I plan on walking in next year's walk and in many after that.  Here's to the journey.  Walk this way.

No comments:

Post a Comment