January 5, 2012

Donor Update

Several have asked for a donor update and explanation of how the “one” is chosen.  First of all, the second possible donor, who was scheduled to do their blood test on December 21, cancelled.  It could have been holiday timing or a change of mind.  However, I learned today that it was a 22 year-old male, which fits in the “best option” category.  My MUD (Matched Unrelated Donor) Coordinator said that while male transplant patients do not always fair well with female donors, female transplant patients often do the best with a male donor.  I think it may have something to do with the antibodies that women make with each pregnancy.  So my MUD Coordinator is going to make a second request to M-22 (male, 22 years).

Another 10 of 10, who was previously unavailable until after December, is now noted in the system as available.  That person is a 23 year-old male.  My coordinator is going to send a request for a blood sample from him as well.  (Everyone she is asking for blood samples are already a 10 of 10 match according to their mouth swab.  MD Anderson does further testing to determine more extensive matching, possible antigens, etc.)

If neither M-22 nor M-23 responds, there is a M-53 and a F-42 next on the list, and a M-31 and F-21 from overseas.

So why can’t we just go with the F-22 who is 13 of 14 with the antibody/antigen issue?  It goes back to engraftment.  If the transplant doesn’t take, my organs can simply shut down.  Because my disease is stable for the time being, they are able to continue the search for the BEST match.  We have read many articles and blogs of folks who did not fair well post transplant, so it is important to eliminate as many obstacles as possible.  The better the match, the better my odds of coming out of this thing alive and well.

Our prayer this week is that both M-22 and M-23 would respond so MD Anderson can do the necessary tests, with the hope that one of them might be the “one.”  Thank you for praying with us.

Waiting expectantly…

Tamara

2 comments:

  1. I was reading your "About Me." We do have a lot of similarities. I could have said the same you said, even down to my age, with the exception of the high school sweetheart, but I didn't have one of those anyway.

    I am glad to hear that a marrow transplant is an option for you! I think most CLL patients have to fight the disease their whole life. (Correct me if I'm wrong.)

    Thank you for contacting me, and I'll be praying for you, too!

    Now, I'm going to go read about 17p deletion ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and I went 0 for 3 in finding a matched donor. 3 possibles, none panned out after further tests. Half-Portuguese is the problem, thinks the doctor.

    But nowadays they offer cord blood, so I'm good to go next week. That probably wouldn't have been true even 5 years ago ...

    ReplyDelete