January 19, 2012

I Have a MATCH!

It’s one of the few times in my life that I have been left speechless!  :)  I just got off the phone with my MUD Coordinator, and she told me that the M-47 blood test that came in last week has been completed.  He is a perfect 14 of 14 match!  That means that he does not have any of the DP issues!!  In addition, a new donor possibility arrived today from a M-31.  She will go ahead and test his as well so there can be another back up.  While the doctors may still want to consider the advantages of the F-22/13 of 14/with the DP issues against the M-47/14 of 14/with no DP issues, she said that she is 99.9% certain that no DP trumps age. 

As soon as I got off the phone with Susan, I called Paul.  While this is exactly what we have been hoping and praying for, the reality of finding my match left us both speechless.  I know it’s not difficult to imagine Paul speechless, but I’m a totally different story!  :)

The M-47 is from Europe.  I’m not sure what that means for transportation of the stem cells, if it will take longer, if they will opt for someone closer….  I’m sure we will learn more about that at our appointment in February with my transplant doctor. 

Maybe he’s from Italy with a love of red wine and fine foods.  Maybe he’s from Scotland and taught at the University of Glasgow where Joshua received his Master’s.  Maybe he’s from my ancestral island of Ireland or perhaps of German descent as was my paternal grandmother.  Wherever he is from, God made a man four years after I was born with the same HLA typing as I have.  He knew way back then that I would need them someday.  Thank you, Lord, that we are “fearfully and wonderfully made.”  Maybe he knows my God.  Maybe he has yet to meet Him. 

Well, I’m still fairly speechless.  I don’t know why.  We pray expectantly, then when He answers we act all surprised.  Goodness.  Humans. 

Paul was eager to move up our scheduled MD Anderson appointments, but there doesn’t seem to be a need to do so.  And who knows what M-31 might turn out to be.  The blessing is that when we go back February 7-8, we will definitely have plenty to talk about.  Maybe by then we will no longer be speechless.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Tamara,

    I saw one of Paul's comments on the CLL forum and was intrigued. Although not 17p deleted, I am p53 mutated and I am 33 yrs old. Did you consider an inhibitor trial or were you certain that you would transplant from the beginning? I'm asking because I am beginning the PCI 32765 trial at NIH next month. I know Dr. Obrien is a huge proponent. PFS in early trials was about 92% with ORR of 70% or so irrespective of 17p deletions and other poor risk molecular features. I completely understand the decision to transplant, but I also believe there are enough promising options around the corner to postpone. Best of luck.
    Dave

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dave,

      Sorry for the long delay in getting back. Didn't see this. What path did you choose and how are you? The reason we were aggressive with my treatment was that I had every negative marker possible. After much discussion and prayer, we decided to be aggressive up front and knock this thing out, and it worked. Everyone has to make the right choice for themselves, and this was ours. We would do it again! Let me know how you are.

      Delete
  2. T A M A R A!!!
    Yes Sweet Lord!! Thank you for your amazing & perfect provision.
    Slap Happy for you.

    ReplyDelete