June 13, 2012

Day 42. REMISSION!!


I guess I could have chosen a title that would have kept you guessing a bit further into the post, but I just couldn't. My team came in a while ago to review my current situation regarding the ongoing headaches and nausea and to let me know that my MRI came back completely normal. (I'm thinking of having that one notarized!).

They have had me on no food or drink since midnight (it is now 1:30pm...), and I have an endoscopy scheduled at 3pm. They did approve for me to take my meds with the tiniest sip of water. I have ended up napping more today. If I can't eat, sleeping helps me not think about it. This test will hopefully rule out GVHD as the last possible culprit, leaving drug balancing as our final act.

Just as they were about to leave, I remembered to ask for the results of my bone marrow biopsy and DNA analysis. Because the focus has been on the problems at hand, the big picture news got swept under the table. The rounds doctor quickly gave the good news and went on her way, then sweet "too tall" printed the results and fully explained them to me. The DNA results indicate that M-47 "comprises approximately 98% of the total DNA". This is remarkable, incredible, miraculous, and totally God! The bone marrow biopsy shows that "there is no diagnostic morphologic evidence of lymphoma" (or leukemia). I am officially in remission! Praise God from whom all blessings flow!

There is still a road to walk. The reason I have been in the hospital is still before us. GVHD is a creature that can still attack in months to come. But God is faithful. He has brought us this far. He will continue to carry us through. We have shed tears of fear, tears of pain, tears of the unknown. Today, we shed tears of joy as we give thanks for this amazing answer to countless prayers.

Psalm 100
"Shout for joy to the Lord, all the earth. Worship the Lord with gladness; come before Him with joyful songs. Know that the Lord is God. It is He who made us, and we are His; we are His people, the sheep of His pasture. Enter His gates with thanksgiving and His courts with praise; give thanks to Him and praise His name. For the Lord is good and His love endures forever; His faithfulness continues through all generations".

Amen.

2 comments: