April 26, 2012

Day -6. Time Flies When You're Having Fun!

The days in the hospital prior to transplant are called "negative" 7,6,5...until we get to Day 0...transplant day. Then we start going up.

You would think that time would drraaaggg by! But if today is a telling example, it's done anything but drag. I hadn't even had time to get a nap!

After being awakened several times during the night (either for vital checks, potty breaks, being too hot or too cold, nearby noises, or the beeping alarms on my own machines), I had good sleep from sometime after 4:30 to around 8am. :)

Since then, I have eaten a good breakfast and lunch, accounted for all ingoing and outgoing fluids, performed my oral care and breathing exercises every two hours, visited with my mom, my tramsplant team, my nurses, two volunteers, and the blood drive coordinator...and took a 20 minute walk around the floor with my mom. We would have continued, but it was time for another vitals check and potty accounting.

It may not sound like a big deal to document ALL fluids in and out, but whe you have four bags of various fluids and meds coursing through your veins, there's a LOT of counting to do!

After they started my Benedryl drip this morning, I thought that I would doze off. But everytime my eyes would close, another beep would sound or another 15 minute span would pass between vitals.

By later afternoon, the vital checks and Rituxan dose adjustments stretched to one hour. Mom had headed home to beat the afternoon traffic. Finally, a chance to catch a few zzzzz's! I also wanted to jot down my thoughts of the day. What do I do first? Write. I may forget if I nap first. What can I say?! I promised to keep everyone posted.

But my eyes are heavy, and I think I'm falling......asleep.

1 comment:

  1. Paul said you would blog no matter how tired or exausted. He was right.
    I have put you on our Sunday school prayer list. I pray for you and think of you often. I love hearing about your day.

    Your sister in Christ,
    Mary Sue

    ReplyDelete