June 15, 2015

Heritage: The Women in My Life

With the birth of yet another grandchild, I have been thinking of the rich heritage I have been blessed with as a woman. Girls don’t just wake up one day and instinctively know everything there is to know about being a mom and homemaker. They observe it over decades of formative years, watching their mother, grandmothers, aunts, great-aunts…. Well, they do if they are fortunate enough to come from a family like mine.

As I was thinking back about the influence of the women in my family, I first thought of my mom and her steadfast dedication to a near perfect home! It was neat, clean, and organized; we had three homemade meals per day, plus desserts. We were taught how to help and be a part of the daily chores. Mother ironed everything!! It took me a while after I was grown to loosen up on some of those practices. ☺ But the thing I remember besides learning how to DO everything, was just being with my mom…talking about any and everything while we did what we needed to do.

My grandmother, Mamie, could do it all and never really seemed stressed. She always had a full course meal on the stove, even when she wasn’t expecting company! Someone would always drop by, and there would be plenty to eat. She was warm and loving, did not know a stranger, took care of everyone, and mowed her own lawn up until her early 80’s. She was tough and soft all at the same time. I loved sitting on the front steps with her and shelling peas or standing in the kitchen drying dishes while she washed. It makes me cry just remembering those times.

Every one of my aunts had their own influence on my life as well. Some were quiet and sweet wives and mothers who lovingly cared for their families. Others were talkers, like me, and made me laugh and see the lighter side of life even when things were hard. Several worked outside the home and still managed to balance home and family. One enjoyed sharing with me her love of all things beautiful. Another enjoyed sharing the outdoors, the love of plants, and family history.

As I think about all these women and then about the women they produced, I am humbled and grateful. My cousins and I are all so very much alike because we were wrought by the same women. My daughter and her generation of cousins are following in the same steps because of the same. What a beautiful heritage.

Thank you Mamie, Mother, Aunt Maydene, Aunt Essie, Aunt Polly, Aunt Dottie, and countless other aunts, great-aunts, and “aunts” from church who have invested in my life. I love you all more than I can ever say. I hope this at least says a little.


“She opens her mouth in wisdom, and the teaching of kindness is on her tongue.”
Proverbs 31:26




No comments:

Post a Comment