April 27, 2018

I Think We Have a Plan

For the past four weeks, we have waited patiently, researched, read, and prayed. Last night, we prepared ourselves for the possible outcomes and how we would respond. Today, we received the ok to be able to proceed with what we feel is the best option for us. CAR T-Cell, Phase 2.

Some of you may remember me having a CAR T-Cell trial back in 2015 that didn’t end up working. Well, they have taken the information from that one, improved it, and have come up with a much more effective outcome. Plus, they have changed the primary makeup of the CAR (chimeric antigen receptor) so the antibodies that I have developed will not be a factor against me.

This trial includes the FC (Fludarabine/Cytoxan) pretreatment, so it will be a bit more toxic than my last one. And I will be in the hospital for two weeks, which is a little longer than before. But as from the beginning, our choices of more aggressive treatment options have played a key role in keeping me alive. That along with a lot of prayer and God’s gracious timing. Dr. H said today that with my P53 deletion, I would not have made it this long without our proactive attack measures. It was encouraging to hear that we have made the right choices. I guess the fact that I’m still here is evidence enough, but it was still nice to hear.

What was interesting to hear was her suggestion of a second transplant. We have pretty much left that as a last ditch effort after having done everything else because the statistics of dying during your second transplant are significantly higher. Well, she told us that those statistics are mostly because second transplants are usually done within a very short time after the first one not working. Since it’s already been six years since my first and it will hopefully be another year or two or five (or ten) before I get to the point where I have no more options, she said that my odds are really great for a second transplant! Much like they were for my first one. So that was really good news. Not that I want to do that again any time soon, but the fact that it’s an option is comforting.

So all that to say, I don’t think I’ll die this year. ☺ I’ve got stuff to do, places to go, people to see, cookies to bake. But I’ll be busy this summer getting my mojo back.




2 comments: