February 17, 2012

And THIS was the Good News!


If any of you read Paul’s most recent post “What Did You Say?” (http://paulfowler.blogspot.com/2012/02/what-did-you-say.html), you would have learned that due to insurance issues Paul will not be able to administer my Campath injections.  Well, he could…if we wanted to shell out $55,000! 

So we decided to go with Plan B.  I will have the injections at the good doctor’s office.  The ramp up injections will be three days in a row, followed by M/W/F injections thereafter.  Paul will need to be with me for the first three, but after that I am hoping to be able to drive myself.  At yesterday’s visit, we all laughed at how ridiculous it was for insurance companies to rather pay office visits and all the accompanying expenses than just pay for the drug.  They promised to call me with the updated pricing for having it done in the office as soon as the insurance company got back with them.

Which brings us to today’s blog. 

The good doctor’s insurance gal called to say that she had “good news!”  “Your out-of-pocket expense for getting your Campath in the office is MUCH lower!!”  (I’m getting really excited at this point of the conversation, thinking “bring on the $10 co-pays” like we have for all my other meds that go along with the Campath!)  She then explained that my first injection would cost us $284 and all subsequent injections would be $199.  “And THIS is the good news?!”  So the first round of Campath will cost $2,473.  Now while that is, indeed, much less than the $55,000, it is still a chunk of change to come up with for four weeks of treatment.  So much for a $10 co-pay!  :/  How do normal, everyday folks afford to have cancer?!  (Still kicking myself for not buying that Aflac Cancer Policy!  $10K at diagnosis!)

On a brighter note, and what I had originally planned to write about, all three of my medical teams (The “good doctor” [my local oncologist], MD Anderson Leukemia, and MD Anderson Transplant) are angels of mercy!  From lab assistants, nurses, and PA’s to the doctors themselves, I have never felt so well attended to by a medical team.  They are knowledgeable and kind.  They are encouraging and endearing.  They are conscientious and compassionate.  

Dr. O’Brien is internationally renown as the top in the field.  One could think that I was just lucky.  But I think otherwise.  God has had His hand in this from the beginning.  If I hadn’t gone to the neighborhood clinic for what I thought was poison ivy, I probably would not been referred to Dr. Rakkhit (the “good doctor”).  :)  Dr. Rakkhit did his fellowship at MD Anderson and knows Dr. O’Brien.  Without his recommendation, it would have been very difficult to get an appointment with the head of the Leukemia Department.  Dr. Rakkhit also went to school with Dr. Shah, my transplant doctor.  His connections have put me in the best place possible. 

So while the expenses of this journey of ours can be staggering at times, God has gotten us this far, and He will provide for the rest. 

And my God will supply all your needs
according to His riches in glory in Christ Jesus.” 
Philippians 4:19

No comments:

Post a Comment