February 20, 2012

Touched by Prayer


Twice in the last two months, groups of Godly women united together to lay their hearts before God and their hands on me.  What an honor!  Prayer warriors at Cypress Bible Church who I have known for years prayed for me before my donor match was found.  God provided three.  Yesterday after the service at Creekside Church, a group of women, most of whom I have only known for a short time, spontaneously gathered around a dear woman who recently lost her youngest child in an accident and me.  What a privilege it is to be carried before the throne of God!

Again I say to you, if two of you agree on earth about anything they ask,
it will be done for them by my Father in heaven.”
Matthew 18:19

The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much.”
James 5:16

There are many opinions related to the “laying on of hands.”  It is used often in scripture.  While I do not hold to the philosophy of magical, mystical healing, I do believe two things.  One, God can heal any way He chooses.  Second, there is comfort in touch.  Touch has been shown to reduce pain and anxiety.   Massage therapy is used not only for back issues but also for depression, anxiety, headaches, intestinal distress, immune disorders, and cancer.  It has been proven that babies who are touched more in infancy development better.  How are we any different?

Is anyone among you suffering?  Let him pray.  Is anyone cheerful?  Let him sing praise.  Is anyone among you sick?  Let him call for the elders of the church, and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord.
James 5:13-14 

The touch of your spouse can immediately bring comfort.  The touch of a child warms your heart.  The touch of a friend can offer hope.  The touch of God can bring healing.

The body of Christ at Pineview Bible Chapel, where I grew up, prays for me continually.  I have known these sweet people all of my fifty years and have seen their diligence in prayer.

Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances;
for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.”
1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

Devote yourselves to prayer, being watchful and thankful.”
Colossians 4:2

There are times when I don’t know what else to pray.  But I know that He hears my heart.

Likewise the Spirit helps us in our weakness.  For we do not know what to pray for as we ought, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words. And he who searches hearts knows what is the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for the saints according to the will of God.
Romans 8:26-27

I know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose.”  Romans 8:28

I know that “the LORD is near to all who call on Him, to all who call on Him in truth.”  Psalm 145:18

But I know Whom I have believèd,
And am persuaded that He is able
To keep that which I’ve committed
Unto Him against that day.


No comments:

Post a Comment