July 5, 2012

4th of July Celebration. When Will I Be Able to Really Do This?


Yesterday was an absolutely wonderful day! It started by my fixing breakfast for our little crew. I was excited about getting the day started! Then Paul and I went over to Steph and Derek's for a short visit and to pick up the extra bed to tote back to her mom's. We had already scheduled to drop me back off at mom's so I could have a quick snack and a nap, which I did, in preparation for the rest of day. I thought that would be enough.

An hour and a half later, I was awake and eagerly awaiting the arrival of my brother, Ron and Julie, and my son, Josh and Ky & Caleb. We worked together in the kitchen making side items and Paul got his yummy burger concoction stirred up. Nothing stressful.


Everyone arrived. Toy cars and trucks were retrieved from Mama O's toy closet for the third generation of children to play with. The new porch cover was already being enjoyed and utilized. Conversation bounced around like the balls on a pool table. It was music to my ears. Even on this smaller scale. Once lunch was served, Caleb ate almost two ears of corn! What is it with kids and corn on the cob?! :)

After Julie's 4th of July cheesecake (yum!), it was time for the girls to indulge in a game of cards...Hand & Foot, while Caleb ate watermelon and the more senior guys wandered back for naps. It was about at the beginning of the game that I realized how tired I was.

It doesn't matter that I hadn't actually done much other than conversing and piddling around the kitchen. My energy level is the first to go. People often get confused because I don't look too bad anymore, and I am not really one to let on when I am going down hill in the moment either.

Caleb was very good, but he was a 2.6 year old boy in his 80 year old Mama O's house with lots of things to touch. He especially likes the grandfather clock and the lamps. Your senses tend to be on a higher alert in such a situation, which I'm sure adds to energy zapping.

By the time we finished the card game, I knew that I had over done it. The headache was barreling down, trying to get the better of me. I've learned which drugs to take to try and stay "in front" of the pain. I must have already missed that window. Long story short, it ended up requiring my full arsenal to get it under control and by 2:30 am it was all gone. Slept well. PTL!

I guess my unanswerable question is this.... How long will it be before I can just have a somewhat mildly normal day of activity without it causing a headache? I guess I'll let you know when we get there.

For now, I wouldn't have traded one moment of yesterday. I hadn't seen the kids since May, except on Skype. To be able to just watch Caleb play and interact was precious.

As we celebrated the independence of this wonderful country of ours, I was personally reminded how very dependent I still am on those around me. I too am looking forward to celebrating a return to a higher level of independence while understanding the interconnectedness of all those who care for me.

Independent does not mean alone.


1 comment:

  1. Best wishes for a full day of energy soon, Tamara, but you appear to me to be doing extremely well for how far along you are.

    God's grace to you!

    ReplyDelete