October 15, 2012

Day 166. Blessings and Prayers


At just over five months post transplant and counting, there are many blessings to be thankful for and many prayers still on the table, for me and for others.  Paul Pavao, who was an immense blessing to me via his blog and email communication to me as he was a few months ahead of me in this journey, continues to struggle along and needs your continued prayers.  Dave Kinler, my business buddy, is currently in another round of strong chemotherapy which will hopefully prepare his body for his upcoming stem cell journey.  Pray that he does not fall prey to neutropenic fever again with this treatment. Finally, an old friend from CBC, Jim McEver, is losing the battle with stage four colon cancer and the insurance company isn’t wanting to pay for a last ditch effort trial treatment.  Pray for these and their families.

I went back to the doctor last week for my check up only to find out that the results we have been waiting for were unable to be attained.  My lymphocytes are so low right now, which is where the T-cells are, that they can’t get enough T-cells to count and compare against donor vs. mine.  My other cells are 100% donor, which is great!  We just can’t confirm whether or not the change in medicine is doing its job with the 66% donor cells vs. 34% my cells that were trying to take charge.  So we have to wait until October 29 when they do my next re-staging.  That’s when they will again do my labs, CT Scan, and bone marrow biopsy.  They can re-do the T-cell tests with this information as well…even better.  More waiting.

My hair has been falling out.  They have done a thyroid test and a hormone panel with results showing that I am post-menopausal.  Duh.  She’s going to speak to an endocrinologist to see if I need a little hormone help.  Maybe it’ll help my hair stop falling out.  Other than that, I don’t feel hormonal.  But maybe you should ask Paul.  :)

The little blessings I referred to earlier is that I have been able to go to a few outings.  However, when I do, that’s it for the weekend!  :/  My son turned 30 recently, and after a really bad weekend the one before, I was able to go and spend FOUR hours sitting and enjoying my son’s birthday party.  I slept most of the next two days, but I didn’t care.  It was worth it!  This past weekend was my uncle’s 80th birthday.  We again were able to spend three hours sitting and visiting at his birthday party.  Around people and out of the house.  Two things that don’t happen very often.  Double blessing.  But the next day requires extra rest.  I have just come to accept that’s the way it is.  I don’t always want to take a nap.  I have to take nap.  We were also able to attend a memorial service for an old friend.  Not something you like to need to go to, but it was a blessing to be able to and to see folks you haven’t seen in a while.  The fatigue is still there but it is either less or I am used to it’s level and what I can do.  I’m definitely better than when I got home!

Psalm 40:1-3  “I waited patiently for the Lord; he inclined to me and heard my cry.  He drew me up from the pit of destruction, out of the miry bog, and set my feet upon a rock, making my steps secure.  He put a new song in my mouth, a song of praise to our God.  Many will see and fear, and put their trust in the Lord.”

3 comments:

  1. Tamara, you continue to amaze me! Still praying as hard as ever for you...we pray at night just before putting the kids down and now Viv says prayers for you too after hearing me all of these months. I can't wait to read the post that will talk about the great lab results you will be getting soon! ----Sarah Przybyla

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tamara. I started improving again when they put me back on 7.5 mg of Prednisone at the start of August. July was awful. At some point before the middle of September I saw a drastic improvement in the ongoing hemorrhoid problem (and my lips stopped being chapped all the time). That gave me more ability to exercise, and progress increased.

    That would have been the 8-month mark for me.

    I'll pray especially for your lymphocytes. I'm still at the lowest end of normal for red blood and low on platelets, but apparently all my white blood cells are at normal levels and ready to be active. Unfortunately, some of that activity is directed against my skin and stomach, but it's not bad.

    I tell you all that to keep encouraging you to hold on. The five to seven month stretch were the most discouraging symptoms I experienced, and then things got back on the right road again.

    One thing at a time. You're going to crack through these problems. I still have to wait around to hear good news--no indication of relapse--on each visit to Vandy, so I don't want to sound like everything's just over for me. We'll have to keep our chins up (and more so, our faith up in the God who is rooting for us just like our friends are) and press forward for some months more, but you're going to have good news coming ... I'm sure.

    I agree: "Many will see and fear, and put their trust in the Lord."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read your blog having found it from Paul Pavao's blog. You are good for each other. Seems 'warriors' battle and they inspire others to walk their walk more patiently....mostly putting their problems back into prospective since God does not require us to walk your walk. May God always bless you warriors who are still battling for your health. May you always sense God's control and His care, as He covers you with His mercy, grace, and His protection! Peace be with you!

    ReplyDelete