June 5, 2012

Day 31-33. The Brady Bunch


Nothing really happened during this stretch that justified this title. It's just where my head is. More on that in a bit. We just got to enjoy our second weekend pass, started by a masked and gloved trip to Lowe's where Paul was making notes and pricing lumber and posts for Mama O's upcoming back porch project. Figured it was the least "we" could do for needing to live with her for the majority of the summer. Plus, she's always wanted one.

Back to the subject at hand. Remember how when we all had kids, they never came with any instructions? Well, step-kids are no different! In fact, it may be worse. You are always pretty sure with your own kids that your love can undo most any goof up you might do. With step-kids, you never know if they know that you love them or if they even want you to love them. (When I got into blogging, I realized that it could be for the benefit of others walking a similar road, so I hope you do not mind this slight detour).

When we were growing up, there were very few divorced people, at least where we lived, and there weren't many depicted on television. When The Brady Bunch became such a controversial but huge hit, the Brady kids took a while to warm up to one another. Before long, while they might not always get along, they definitely had each others' backs...plus they could sing! :)

I have noticed that everyone, every one of our kids, given birth by me or not, has had a unique response to my disease. Some were emotional right from the beginning. Some have expressed love in practical ways. One in particular keeps me laughing. One calls me everyday and just talks about everyday stuff. I used to think he was in denial, but I know better. I think some just don't know what to do with it, with me. And I guess that's ok, too. I'm here to say that I'm still me, I'm still fighting, I'm still smiling, and I'm still here. I'm here to stay.

After I finish writing the book on overcoming Leukemia, I will start on the one parents should get when they first give birth. Then I will follow with one for step parents. I'm not going to give away all my secrets, but I will say that the main theme that must run through them all is communication. Whether it's learning to live with or fight against a deadly disease, raise young children, or love and respect grown ones, it all comes down to communication.

At least, that's what Jan said!


1 comment:

  1. I think I've found the perfect Tamara Fowler theme song.

    http://youtu.be/dUyTZlJnRns

    You can thank me later.

    ReplyDelete