June 19, 2012

Days 44-48. It Got Scary, But I'm NOT Going Back...today!


We got back home to mom's Thursday evening to a lovely dinner from my HS friend Mary Meadors Payne. Friday, Day 44, Bonnie took me back for me ATC follow up. It was amazing to see how quickly my BP had come back down to normal, 120/69. Saturday, Day 45, mother and I took an outing to Lowe's to look at paint chips for the porch cover Paul is building for her then to Kroger's for just a few items. By the time we were back, I was exhausted and it was time for the Walgreens Infusion Home-health lady to come and teach me how to set up my home fluids. After that, I ate lunch and took a much needed nap.

By that evening, I had the headache that wouldn't quit. It required three different types of meds to finally bring relief, over a 6-8 hour stretch. By morning of Day 46, Father's Day, it was better but I was very tired. We enjoyed koloches on the "porch," then drove Mama-O to Bridget's to celebrate Father's Day and my brother's 58th birthday (you heard it here) and to get some hugs and waves, came back and napped until 12:30, awaiting the kids to arrive to celebrate Paul's Father's Day. Was ok for the afternoon.

Napped again as soon as they headed their various ways. Paul woke me up to remind me that we still needed to run out to the house to pick up a few things. So we headed out. Before we ever arrived, the nausea began, with roadside stops along the way. I don't really remember what all we got at the house. He took care of that. I napped and/or stayed in the bathroom. When we left, I brought a bucket with me...much needed. By the time we got home, Paul was on the phone with the doctor, throwing my stuff back in the truck, telling her that he's bring me back in, and me hollering in the background that I'm not going back! I won! It was a long night, but I just could not go back. I was finally able to keep down the meds they would have given me there and practiced slow deep breathing until I could get it under control.

The payoff was that Paul would have to get me to the ATC Monday morning, Day 47. No problem! More questions, more ideas. But I did get a much needed 3 hour nap!

Today, Day 48, Renee drove me to my Neurology follow-up appointment. The long and short is yes, I can touch my nose, my peripheral is fine, I can walk toe to heel, and they are going to now again double my Topamax to 200mg per day. That's a lot! Just an FYI. I still have my 25's so I can take 75 or 100 when they bring my doses back down. I am not allowed on this level of Topamax to take Dilaudid or Oxycodone more than 3 times per week so PLEASE pray that the Topamax keeps my headaches at bay. And Maxalt is still on a let's see basis.

The nausea...I think I'm just supposed to breathe, or was that.......

No comments:

Post a Comment