June 12, 2012

Days 38-41. Still Pooping after All These Days


While this is not the primary issue, it does seem to make the top three questions of the day. How's your poop? How much is there? What is the consistency, frequency, and general make-up? Where does your tummy hurt? How do these coordinate with your headaches? Which came first, the nausea or the headache? Which is worse, the headache or the nausea? Is the nausea always productive or does it just make you feel queasy, or better yet, does it just make you feel like poop?! :) How often do you throw up? The list goes on.... How I long to just have a normal conversation that has nothing to do with my own personal poop quantities or feelings. We can talk about your baby's poop. That is perfectly acceptable!

For those who have been praying and asking about my numbers, they look good. My "numbers" officially consist of my WBC (white blood count), HGB (hemoglobin, to see if I need a unit of red blood), and PLT (platelet count, to see if I need platelets for clotting). Mine are great. I could probably donate platelets!

Yesterday, Day 40, I had two consults with my regular stem cell team plus the neurology doctor. The stem cell team was considering sending me home, but nothing has changed; I'm really no better, just medicated. So Paul and I had already decided to decline that offer, as attractive as it might sound. We prefer answers and a plan. After discussing further, they agreed. Especially the others on the team, like brown eyes and too tall.

They have gotten with Neurology and scheduled an MRI for today, Day 41, to rule out anything that direction. It is highly probable that they will also partner with the endoscopy team and schedule a scope to rule out GVHD. That will leave us with what it probably is...the vicious post transplant meds that could be the culprit of these headaches and nausea. However, we need to find a better way of managing the pain without relying solely on opioids, which continue to require more drug to do the job, and can create physical dependence then lead to a difficult withdrawal process. I have heard from several friends that it can take months to finally happen upon the mix of meds that works best for your mix of mess. So patience is key.

It looks like I will probably be here at least until tomorrow after the scope. If so, I would imagine they would schedule me for ATC on Thursday and Friday and hope to get back to the twice a week, Tuesday/Friday ATC trips by next week. Now this is me talking. I don't get to make the schedules. A girl can only dream...... My dream is to get back home to my hubby and start moving forward little by little.

For now, my numbers are good.  My potassium is good.  My Tacro is good. Our God is good!  Everything is going to be fine...in His time.  Thank you for walking this walk with us!

Anything less would just be poopy! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment