April 27, 2012

Day -5. 12 lbs and Clogged!

How many of you have ever gained 12 pounds in a day and a half? I win! While I have been assured that it's fluid, and my newly pudgy hands are proof, 12 pounds was still a little surprising considering the documented fluid output! For now, the doctor wants to let my body handle it primarily on its own. Glad my pj's flex. :)

I mentioned before I was admitted that some of my in-patient posts might contain TMI. I found reading other transplant patient blogs helpful in preparing for my transplant. I want to provide the same help to anyone who comes after me. It also guides in how to pray.

During the last couple months, the numerous medications that I've been on have caused chronic constipation. It has been somewhat managed by nightly senna tabs. The new meds and new hospital routine have only aggravated the situation.

Not long ago on a particularly difficult night, I requested specific prayer support from a small group of ladies. They jokingly became known as the "poop group"! However, "poop pray-ers" and "poop patrol" were a close second and third. Feel free to consider yourself an official member.

My team of nurses have worked diligently with me on diet, exercise, and natural meds like senna to help get things moving. While there has been some limited success, this stays near the top of my current prayer list. What can I say?!

I have also had a headache each day, with each one being a bit more stubborn and long lasting. Again, the nursing staff has stayed in contact with my doctor and provided the necessary meds.

On the up side, besides having my hubby spend the night last night (as uncomfortable as he must have been), my mom, and my neice, Bridget, and hubby, Craig, came for a nice, long visit bearing gifts of pictures from Tristen and two beautiful Willow Tree angel figurines...Angel of Healing and Courage! :) They make a beautiful and meaningful addition to my Willow Tree Lavender Grace, gifted by Sharon & Tom, and my angel from Cheryl that reminds us to "Expect Miracles". We do. Thanks to all of you who love and pray for us. And thanks to the One who makes miracles happen!

1 comment:

  1. We humans must really love stories. Many people told me they read every word of my blogs every day as I went through transplant and even before, during the several months of chemo regimen.

    The word "Senna" frightens me. My first chemo round, they gave me two pills a day, but we soon learned that one every two days was too much for me. After that first round, I forbad Senna to enter the room. It worked too well!

    12 pounds! I gained 7 once, and they immediately hit me with at least 40 mg of Lasix. I lost the whole seven pounds in under two hours. (3125 ml out in 90 minutes)

    We're praying!

    ReplyDelete