April 8, 2012

Full Steam Ahead



You guys must be some mighty prayer warriors!  A week ago, we were wondering if M-47 was going to even be part of this journey.  As of Thursday afternoon, we found out that we are full steam ahead.

On our way to the country, trying to capture as many moments together as possible, my transplant coordinator called with the news.  M-47 had attended the information session and had gotten his physical!  Not wasting a moment, she had already checked the appropriate calendars and booked the dates for my transplant back through the pre-testing (everything they did last fall will be rerun in order to have accurate baseline counts), insertion of my CVC (central venous catheter), outpatient Rituxan, and hospital admission. 

So here we go!  Monday, as in tomorrow, I am scheduled to go to the dentist (to have everything checked and forms filled out to confirm that there are no oral issues.)  Tuesday, I am going with my mom to shop for pj’s and slippers and then go get my hair cut.  Pre-tests start on Wednesday and go for several days.  Tuesday, April 17th, I will receive my CVC while under full sedation.  I will sign consent papers on the 18th.  Then on the 19th, I will get Rituxan (the R of FBR) as an outpatient while Paul attends a MD Anderson consultation for a quit smoking trial.  We then have a few days to wrap up any loose ends before I am admitted on Wednesday, April 25.  Unfortunately, I will miss my youngest grandson’s first birthday party.  ;(  But the hope and prayer is that I will be here to enjoy many, many more!

During the next days, I will be undergoing the FBR conditioning regimen to eradicate the rest of my cells in order to prepare my body to receive and accept the new stem cells.  At the same time, my donor will receive several days of shots to push his stem cells from his bone marrow into his blood stream to prepare for harvesting, which will be done on May 1st.  On Wednesday May 2nd, four days before my 51st birthday, I will receive my stem cell transplant (SCT).  This will be known as my “re-birth” day.  As a Christian, I have already had one, so I guess this will be my second.  :)

The following 30 days will be spent waiting for my body to accept the new cells and begin to engraft.  There are numerous side effects possible during this time, but we’ll just wait and see and pray for the best.  Each person’s transplant journey is unique.

Once my counts reach a certain level, I will start my 100-day ambulatory outpatient care.  It will begin daily, then every other day, etc. until I reach the level where I can go all the way home.  Many have been re-hospitalized during this stretch of time due to infections and various GVHD side effects.   We’ll see how that goes.

So this weekend, the time we celebrate new life in Christ and new life in our earth, we celebrate the opportunity of new life without leukemia. 
We enjoyed the peace and beauty of our little slice of heaven, drank in memorable moments with my children and grandchildren, and held even more tightly to one another as we prepare to run the race that is set before us.

It was hard saying so many goodbyes this weekend...to our place in the country and especially to my grandchildren.  I know in my heart that this is temporary.  But I will be counting the days until I can again hold them close and share the simple blessings of time.

In all things, in all ways, to God be the glory forever and ever.  Amen.


4 comments:

  1. Tamara,
    I was able to come home between my last treatment and my auto stem cell transplant. We celebrated my 50th birthday with my extended family. As they left, I hugged and cried - I didn't know what to expect and there was a bit of fear, too.

    I know our transplants are different, allos are more risky as far as possible complications from GVHD but from all of those I know who had allos, they do well. Yes, there may be bumps but thank God, He is there with you every step of the way!

    Please keep us updated and I will be praying for you as you near this date.
    Cyndi Heath
    Lakeside, MT
    http://advocateofhope.wordpress.com
    p.s. on my side bar there is a video that explains an allo transplant - very good information.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much, Cyndi! I'm not sure how folks do this with God.

    "And He walks with me, and He talks with me; and He tells me I am His own. And the joy we share as we tarry there, none other has ever known."

    ReplyDelete
  3. This Full Steam Ahead is news is wonderful!. What a Blessing. I will be praying for you and your Donor. God Bless that person. It is so wonderful to read and know about what a strong familly support system you have.( Paul, Bethany, Josh, your Mom and all the others).I pray for them to.

    I know also of the very strong support system and trust you have in HIM, your Savior. Yes, He walks with you and He talks with you and tells you, you are HIs own.

    I love you,
    Mary Sue

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, today should be your CVC day. We're praying for you!

    ReplyDelete