April 10, 2012

The Road Less Traveled


Paul and I have mentioned over the last months that while we have chosen “the road less traveled,” we both have felt a settled peace about our decision.  However, I can now better understand what our doctors shared with us.  They said that others in my situation felt so much better after the frontline treatment pushed the disease into remission that they opted out of the transplant.  We couldn’t understand how folks could be so short sighted.

Now that I am in my third week past the Campath/Neupogen shots, I feel better than I have in months!  I’m not as achy.  I’m not as tired.  I have more stamina.  My appetite is better.  I can see how someone could slip into a false sense of security.

The fact of the matter is that this won’t last for long.  Those who wait until they relapse before reconsidering transplant have to go through a second line of treatment to regain remission.  With each round of chemo or antibody treatments and as the disease continues to wreak havec, our bodies weaken and increase the possibility of transplant failure or difficulty.

I am thankful for the increased energy because there is SO much to do during the next two weeks.  I will be at MD Anderson most days going through one test or five others!  You never quite think of all the things that need to be done when you’re going to be out of commission for an extended period.  I have to write everything down now, and I check my schedule throughout the day to make sure I haven’t missed anything. 

It is also difficult to remember that I am still immuno-compromised.  Since I feel better, I want to do more things…like weed the flowerbeds or go out to dinner.  But both of those are still off the table.  :/

So we will continue on this less traveled road, making sure that the car is fueled up, the bags packed, the route laid out, and the destination is in sight.


2 comments:

  1. Yippee! I just read your last two posts. That's exciting.

    You are very wise to stick it out and go through with the transplant. I'm still praying for you and excited to follow your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ready or not, here we come! :) Thank you, Paul!!!

    ReplyDelete