March 7, 2012

Back on Track


Because my counts were too low for me to get a Campath injection on Monday, the office of the good doctor conferred with MD Anderson to decide whether or not to re-start my ramp up doses (since today was 7 days since my last injection) or to continue at 30 mg or a reduced dosage.  The decision to add Neupogen, which helps rebuild the neutrophils, also came into play.

Late yesterday, we learned that we would resume the 30 mg injections and add a Neupogen injection every time I get the Campath or until my neutrophil numbers have risen to the desired level.  Much of this morning was spent reviewing the insurance vs. out-of-pocket expenses for the pricey Neupogen.  We finally helped them realize that by the time we pay for the Campath, my deductible will have been met and it won’t really matter.  The Neupogen will be covered.  Just give me the shot.

My numbers had gone up a little.  But that little amount (WBC up from .76 to 1.38 and Neutrophils up from .54 to .97) was enough for me to get my Campath and wait until Friday to start the Neupogen.  I did have to have the IV Benedryl today :( but that should be the last time.  It hurt more today, and I have a bruise.  Friday, I will take my Benedryl by mouth on my way to the office.  So we are back on track.  

So in a nutshell, perhaps a big nutshell but nutshell nonetheless, the Campath does such a good job killing my white blood cells that I will have to take Neupogen injections every time Campath knocks them down.  I have been taking Tramadol to counter the bone and body aches.  Since the main side effect of Neopogen is more intense bone and body aches (because it pushes my bone marrow factory to work harder), I am hoping that my Tramadol works overtime.  Because my immune system is in the dirt, I will continue taking Valcyte to guard against viral infections and Bactrim DS to ward off bacterial infections.  Since most all of these, especially the Campath, cause severe headaches, I will continue taking Flexeril to help me relax and Maxalt to fight the ones that just don’t want to go away.  When all of this makes me nauseated, I will rely on the Phenergan.  Then, of course, I can take all the Tylenol and Benedryl I would like to cover the itching, sleeplessness, rash, and any other pain that hasn’t been covered.  I think I got them all.

Where is my card table?!



1 comment:

  1. I am so happy to hear that you are back on track. I hope you can find a few types of good food or drinks that can get you through this tough time. Thinking of you lots and praying for you.

    ReplyDelete