March 1, 2012

Run Over by a Truck!


Considering that we named this blog, Our Journey, I thought that this was a perfect analogy of how I feel.  I have been told before that I tend toward optimism and believing the best.  In that vein, I was convinced that I was going to ride out this first leg without a glitch.  Oh, well, so much for that.

The first day wasn’t too bad.  A little nausea (that I didn’t take the pill for) followed later in the day by light itchiness that made it difficult to get to sleep.  But really no big deal.  Day 2 was when my left arm started hurting, but luckily neither my right arm nor my leg had the same response post injection.  By Tuesday evening, I started having chills and rigors and running a low-grade temperature.  You just can’t make it stop.  I tried deep breathing and willing it away, but it has to run its course.  Day 3 I still had a low-grade temp but everything else went well at the doctor’s office.  By early afternoon, the chills and rigors returned.  Then last evening the chills started again, the nausea returned (and I did take my pill), my head hurt, and my temperature went up to 100.8 and stayed up until sometime after I went to sleep.  I know that doesn’t sound very high, but we’re supposed to call when it gets to 100.5.  So I did.  The on-call doctor said to take Tylenol.  :/  I called my nurse this morning so she could inform the good doctor.

Which brings us to today.  Since I didn’t have to go in for an injection today, I had planned on going grocery shopping and sprucing up around the house a bit.  Yeah, that didn’t happen.  I feel like I’ve been run over by a truck!  Because of all the sweats from last night, I needed to shower again this morning.  It’s really weird to wish that the Campath would make my hair fall out just so I wouldn’t have to wash, dry, and attempt to fix it!  Had to pull a chair into the bathroom to get through it.  I won’t have the blessing of no hair to wash until I get to MD Anderson and take the really hard stuff.  Funny how your perspective changes.

I’ve also lost more weight.  Not surprising because everything tastes horrible.  I can usually out-eat Paul, but not now.  So I am now sipping on a Boost Plus.  Later, I am going to attempt to make chicken and dumplings with the rest of the rotisserie chicken Paul brought home last night.  Here’s hoping.  (He also brought home my favorite flowers…daisies!  What a dear!) 

The encouraging thing is that from all we’ve read, the side effects (other than the suppressed immune system) should balance out once my body gets acclimated to the drug.  I am hoping that’s the case.

I know that it could be SO much worse!  The sub-q injections have much milder side effects than the IV version, so for that I am very thankful.  It’s also almost funny to read about all the various side effects of the drugs given to overcome the other drugs’ side effects.  My anti-nausea pill can cause headaches, difficulty sleeping, dizziness, bowel issues, etc., etc, etc.  The Valcyte can cause back pain, bowel issues, headache, nausea, trouble sleeping….  The Bactrim DS most common adverse effects are "gastrointestinal disturbances" (nausea, vomiting, anorexia), and skin reactions.  And that doesn’t even include the Campath!  You wonder how folks live through the remedy!!  But as a song in the last episode of GLEE exclaimed, “What Doesn’t Kill You Makes You Stronger!”  :)

In your prayers, please add our dear friends John & Dian Sustek.  John has battled cancer twice and this week has entered a third round.  It’s been a long difficult week for them.  Please keep these sweet, Godly people in your prayers.


2 comments:

  1. Boy, do I feel for those entering second and third rounds of cancer battle.

    I read today, "If God sends us on strong paths, he provides strong shoes."

    Sometimes things like that are just nice words, but that quote is from Corrie Ten Boom, whose strong path was a Nazi concentration camp. I give a little more heed to encouragement from people like her.

    You're going to do great, Tamara! Thanks for keeping us updated. I just got all the way caught up on your log these last couple days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Paul. Looking forward to hearing your latest.

    ReplyDelete