March 28, 2012

Step One - Success!


Once again, I am (practically) speechless!  We went back to MD Anderson today for the results of my bone marrow biopsy and to discuss the next step.  “Flow cytometric immunophenotyping of the bone marrow aspirate is negative for minimal residual chronic lymphocytic leukemia….”  In a nutshell, the Campath WORKED in knocking my leukemia down to nothing in one round!  Perhaps that is why I was so sick at the beginning.  It wasn’t just working at the peripheral level; it was busy working at the cellular level.

So what does this mean?  The transplant team will now contact M-47 in Europe to determine his schedule and availability for donating.  Once that is arranged, they will set the date for my transplant.  Until then, I can give my body a rest from Campath and Neupogen.  If M-47 is planning a lengthy vacation or something, we might have to revisit that decision.  For now, I am still immuno-compromised and it was emphatically communicated that I must behave! 

Dr. Shah said that I continue to be an anomaly.  Everything about my disease has been unique.  It is extremely rare for one round of treatment to knock the 80% diseased marrow down to 0.  This is a direct answer to prayer!  I am doubly blessed because this allows us to maintain a full arsenal of weapons to wage war against the leukemia if or when it relapses.  Most folks have to utilize many of their chemo darts just to get into remission.  And the less my body is worn down by drugs, the better my chance of transplant success. 

The question has been posed as to why I still need a transplant if my leukemia was knocked out.  The answer goes back to my 17p deletion, and other negative prognostic factors.  While I am in remission now, it won’t last for long.  So for a longer-term fix, the transplant is the only answer.

Once the date is set, the ten days prior to transplant will be spent in the hospital receiving the conditioning regimen (also referred to as "killer chemo").  Dr. Shah has decided on FBR.  I wrote about the various options months ago.  As a reminder, FBR stands for Fludarabine, Bendamustine (also known as Treanda), and Rituximab.  Even though there are some horrid side effects, mostly for the first two, I may not lose my hair after all!  And I was already prepared!!  :)  Good thing Paul didn’t shave his head too soon!

I know it sounds funny to be this giddy about a soon approaching transplant.  But today felt like a confirming word from the Lord that everything is going to be fine.  We are wrapped in His loving arms as He holds us up, holds us together.  Emotions have traveled up and down and will certainly continue.  But to have such a miraculous answer to prayer is simply that…a miracle.  As I said when my perfect match was found, we pray expectantly and are then surprised when it happens! 

Thank you for your faithful prayers!  While we understand that this is still just the first step, He is paving the way before us, and we trust Him to carry us through.


1 comment: