August 10, 2012

Day One Hundred


In the journey of a stem cell patient, Day 100 is a milestone day.  Nothing special happened today, but it marks a time period of success. The results from my bone marrow biopsy were not in yet on Wednesday, so I do not know the updated numbers of my donors percentage of cells compared to my old ones. We were at a remarkable 97% last time, so we are hoping for even better figures this time. Hopefully, we'll hear within the next week or two.

Day 100 also marks the day that I can go home. We took mother out to dinner tonight to celebrate the milestone and to say just a small thanks for all she has done for us. I have been packing up, and Paul is working on his last project for now...the bathroom sink.  As  ready as I am to be home, I will always cherish this time with my mom. It's a rare opportunity that you get to go back to your childhood home and spend this much time with your mother at this age.

We will pack everything up in the truck tomorrow morning and head north. While I had a couple friends ready to come over and help me clean, my sweet husband surprised me, took a day off work this week, and cleaned our house from stem to stern, plus did the yard, weeded the beds, all so I could come home to a perfectly clean house. There are a lot of wonderful caregivers out there. There are a lot of wonderful husbands out there. I have the best of both. But I could write an entire book about that.

Our journey began almost a year ago. So much has happened. So much has changed. But some things have not. The love and faithfulness of our God, our family, and our friends. The prayers offered on our behalf are what have gotten us through. We still have a long road ahead of us, but we are thankful to be at this turning point.

Following His lead...

Tamara

1 comment: