May 2, 2012

Day -1. AM/Truck. PM/Sunshine

The ATG, the one that was supposed to cause the "shake 'n bake" effect, has so far taken the high road. My main side effect has been very increased heart rate (like aerobic workout level) and increase in blood pressure. So it was probably a good day to just sit and visit. They told me to lay off walking until my heart rate got a little closer to normal.

I thought that I was fairly clear of any other ATG side effects until waking in the wee hours of this morning to flu-like symptoms (which was on the list) such as a stuffy nose, cough, low grade fever, and basically feeling like I'd been run over by a truck. Thought I'd already had that experience back during the Campath era. :/

After my 4am blood work and vitals check, I was able to get back to sleep until I woke to the ever recurring duo of headache and nausea. So the good nurse put together my cocktail of meds which ward off the dynamic duo and make me sleepy. I dozed off and on again until the pain was better and the truck was removed from my bumper.

At the time I began writing these notes, I was getting my second dose of ATG. We'll see later whether I will get to enjoy a little "shake 'n bake" or just another truck running into my lane. Either way, nothing has been as bad as the weekend, and I lived through that.

Then more sunshine poured in! Our sweet pastor, Dean Wood, and his precious wife (and my former youth group student), Kelly, blessed us with a wonderful visit and a thoughtful gift from Creekside that warmed our hearts! Our church collected goodies and snacks for Paul to enjoy during his hours of standing vigil. There were also precious notes from young and "old" that I am adding to my picture and card wall. Thank you for sharing your love in such a tangible way! Toward the end of their visit, my cousin Gaydene joined the group bearing another birthday card and sweet hugs and smiles. The precious time ended with Dean leading us in prayer...and my IV pole demanding some attention. Thank you all for ending our day with rays of love and light!

As God puts us on your heart to pray, please also consider these:

Pray that my donor would be blessed for giving the gift of life and that he will recuperate quickly.
Pray that my side effects continue to be manageable.
Pray that my body accepts and engrafts its new, baby stem cells.
Pray that our friends Gerry and Vicki will feel God's leading and peace as they weigh and pray the best treatment options for her cancer...and for a wonderful trip away before it all starts.
Pray that my business buddy, Dave (the one with lymphoma), would respond exceedingly well to his newest anti-74 regime. If this doesn't work, he too will be transplant bound.
Pray that Paul Pavao, the gentleman whose transplant blog we followed the whole way, will be blessed with exceptional, ongoing, healthy results now that he has passed Day 100! :)

"Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine according to his power that is at work within us, to him be the glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, forever and ever! Amen.

Ephesians 3:20-21


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing your experience with us. Please keep blogging when you are able. God bless you and Paul in this harrowing journey. We are out here pulling and praying for you.
    Kayansas
    (my husband is 11q deleted, ZAP 70+, CD38+, not sure on IGVH, currently in remission)

    ReplyDelete