May 17, 2012

Day 11. Started Rough, Ended Well. Day 12. We're Outta Here!


On Sunday, Day 11, Mother's Day, the headache and nausea had again increased. The morning and most of the afternoon were spent trying to get it under control so I could enjoy my visit from Josh, Ky, and Caleb and my Skype visit with Bethany and Dana later.

Fortunately, Marla, the wonder nurse, was assigned to me my last full day in the hospital. She worked diligently to find the right mix of meds. We did, however, learn one thing. I cannot take Oxycodone on an empty stomach. I don't remember everything, but I do remember another round of nausea and having severe shakes. Boost Plus to the rescue...and a note to self!

Since I had been recently given multi-floor privileges, We were able to visit with Josh, Kylee, AND Caleb by going up to the 24th observation floor. There are no patients on that floor, so Caleb could go there. It's just for visiting. It was indeed a treat to see my little buddy since I had prepared myself to not be able to be with my grandkids for possibly months! Later, I got to Skype with my girls and enjoy the cards and pictures they had sent. All in all, not a bad Mother's Day, considering....

Day 12. Paul stayed the night with me so we would be ready at anytime to head home, to my mom's. Plus, he was scheduled at 9am to be certified on changing my CVC dressing. He's a natural. We untaped all my cards and pictures to save for my scrapbook, wrapped my new angel collection, packed our clothes, books, notebooks, iPad, digital frame, all the things I brought to make my home away from home a little more homey, and waited for the doctor, nurse, and pharmacist to complete their discharge routine.

I hadn't been outside in almost three weeks. What a simple blessing. It was an even bigger blessing that it hadn't been the expected 5-6 weeks! We give God all the glory for the amazing way my body has responded to the treatment so far. My nurse said that she has only seen three others do as well as I have.

I am convinced that our healing can bring glory to God and point others to Him.
John 9:3b "...but this happened so that the work of God might be displayed in his life."

"To God be the glory, great things He has done.
So loved He the world that He gave us His Son.
Who yielded His life, an atonement for sin,
And opened the life gate that all may go in."
Fanny J. Crosby



No comments:

Post a Comment