May 1, 2012

Day -2 My Garden

Yesterday, my nurse gave a wonderful analogy of the stem cell transplant process by relating it to a garden.

The first step in gardening is to prepare the soil. The various chemos and immune suppressant drugs (like my two days of ATG) work to till up the soil and pull up and kill the weeds and unwanted grasses. My potassium and magnesium levels are constantly being monitored and fortified so that the soil is rich.

Once the soil has been adequately turned, it's time to plant the seeds...or in this case, the new, baby stem cells. As with any new plant, it must be nurtured to grow and protected from the bugs and environment that could destroy them. So all of my counts are monitored closely and I am analyzed regularly for any signs of invaders. Yesterday, I was started on Tacrolimus (Tacro for short) and will remain on it 24/7 while I'm in the hospital. They will switch me to the pill form once I start ambulatory care. Tacro fights against GVHD (graft vs host disease), so it's like putting an anti-fungal and pesticide treatment on your plants.

Our new garden also needs nourishment. Plenty of water and nutrient rich foods. The best gardeners use Miracle Gro. My Miracle Gro comes in the form of Neupogen...yes, the same Neupogen that I received during my month of Campath. It will assist in boosting the neutrophil production. The water is up to me.

Every garden needs sunshine, and it can come from many sources. A friendly smile, a good laugh, music, my little window bringing the outside in, the prayers of many, the Light of His Word, and visits from family and friends.

Day -2 brought a great deal of sunshine! From my amazing nurses, my husband by my side, and wonderful visits from Mama O, Renee Mayfield Corley (sweet, longtime friend), Gerry & Vicki Benzel (new friends from Creekside), and our dear friends Gene & Deidra Dunn.

After having had a very difficult weekend, Monday was a much needed respite.

No comments:

Post a Comment