May 7, 2012

Days 3, 4, 5



After several not so good days, the weekend was wonderful! Well, as wonderful as it gets when you live on the 11th floor of MDACC and have no immune system. Wonderful just the same. I am still struggling with a persistent headache, but fortunately it is being kept in check by meds...most days.

The weekend and my 51st birthday was made extra special by visits, calls, cards, emails, and posts. The first surprise came mid-morning Saturday, Day 3, when two masked ladies strolled into my room. Not knowing who to expect and only having the area outside the masks to identify, it took me all of fifteen seconds to connect the dots! My best friend since we were five years old, Kay Smith McCuller, drove all the way from Nacogdoches, met up with another of our high school friends, Kathy Warren, to pay me a surprise early birthday visit! They came bearing gifts, smiles, hugs, and almost three hours of precious conversation. Then I took a nap!

Paul has been here almost 24/7, except for short trips home to wash, mow, water plants, send me pictures of our newest blooms, check mail, pay bills, talk to social security, insurance companies, etc. Bless his heart!

Sunday, Day 4, started by trying to recuperate from a night full of IV beeps. Sleep and real rest only came when we snuggled close in one of our two little beds. Those hours of closeness was all the present I could ask for.

After a lovely, long conversation with my niece, April, Paul's sister and brother-in-law, Sharon and Tom, joined us early afternoon, quickly followed by my mom. We visited in my room and in the larger family room, taking turns as to who had to wear the masks. Mama's yummy chocolate cake finished the time on an even sweeter note. And another Willow Tree angel was added to my growing collection. Angel of Healing. Thank you, mama.

Day 5. My numbers and my weight continue to go down. My WBC is now 0.9, and I'm down to 116. I tire easily. My tummy has a constant sort of icky feeling. And then there's the headache. But all in all, I cannot complain! God has given me peace in a scary, uncertain situation. We are more confident everyday that this was, indeed, the best treatment choice for me. Our hope is that they will look at mine as a test case and consider this option for others with my negative markers.

I take one day at a time.

"Therefore, do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself.
Each day has enough trouble of its own."

Matthew 6:34

"But encourage one another daily, as long as it is called Today."

Hebrews 3:13

No comments:

Post a Comment