May 24, 2012

Day 21. Lather, Rinse, Repeat. Or, Back in Black!


As I was getting ready this morning for my daily ATC appointment, I seemed to feel slightly like I did last Friday. Headache that didn't want to go and stay away, an ickier than normal tummy, temporary rise is heart rate, and just a little extra tired. But I chalked it up to not sleeping well last night, took another pill, and went on my merry way.

Sister-in-law, Julie, was my care driver and we were both hoping for an uneventful day. Blood work went smoothly, and she actually had to keep up with me on the trek between the lab and ATC. We had a bit of a wait there, and I was wishing it had been time for another pain pill, but I had already taken my limit and had more two hours to go. By the time we got to my ATC room, I could tell that it was going from bad to worse. :/

My lunch came and Julie opted for the wider variety found downstairs. No problem. I'll be here for another three hours. So I tried my best and nibbled on some cottage cheese, canned fruit, and crackers. I wasn't able to get much down when a repeat of last Friday began and I lost everything...which made my head hurt worse, which made me lose what I now didn't have, which made my head hurt worse.... This continued on until the order to pharmacy could be filled. I think they gave me Ativan and a dose of Dilaudid, not any too soon.

This time it didn't work completely. When we all thought I could try to go home, it started again. The doctor said to take me directly to ER. (No need to drive home in misery just to drive back!). I don't remember much about my time in ER. I know they gave me a couple really good IV meds and I got some much needed sleep. I didn't realize just how much until I heard the doctor say they were admitting me. The clock read 12:35. 12:35?? Wish it had the day and am/pm on it because I had no idea. It was thirty minutes after Midnight! I had been asleep for a long time. Paul, however, had been awake for almost 22 hours, having woken with the worst headache of his life resulting in throwing up before heading to work! Please pray that he finds relief soon!

After being wheeled in my bed to my hospital room (no, I don't really know where I am other than the leukemia floor), the team got me situated, forms signed, instructions read, and declared that I am now on a clear liquids diet. Hard to put on weight that way!

Paul went to mom's to get some sleep and to re-pack my things so he can bring them back in the morning. (For those who come after, I was supposed to always have a bag ready. I did 't. :/ ) The plan, as far as I understand it, is to work with the pain management doctor utilizing IV to get me comfortable and them determining a pill regime that will work before sending me back home. Please pray that it can be figured out quickly because we had just been approved for an "our home" visit to celebrate our anniversary a little early.

Fall Report and Prayer Request:

Mother is healing more everyday from her fall, but the doctors are still working toward a cause.
The morning before my mom fell, my Aunt Polly fell in the garage and broke a rib. Please pray for quick healing and reduction of pain.
A couple days later, our long-time friend from Pineview Bible Chapel, Ms. Virginia, fell face first coming back into the house, with no bracing. She broke her nose, there has been bleeding in front of the brain, they had her in a med-induced coma (out now), and are now waiting to go home before beginning physical therapy. This is going to be a longer recovery.
Aunt Polly's best friend, Sue (85), fell on Tuesday. She broke several major bones in her leg. Her heart is not strong enough for surgery, so they will be installing a pacemaker so they can put the necessary pins in her leg.
Yesterday, my Aunt Dottie fell outside and broke her hip. She had surgery yesterday afternoon, and my cousin relayed that the surgery went well. She, too, will have to go through physical therapy.
Please pray for all these sweet ladies. I thought this season was called Spring...not Fall! Five falls in less than two weeks. :(

So here I am in the wee hours of the morning writing before I forget. Poor Julie did not get an uneventful day after all, but I appreciate her being with me. Please pray that this will be a short, productive visit at hotel MDA.

Time for a nap.

1 comment:

  1. Tamara,

    Thank you for posting your journey. I am relatively young and was diagnosed with CLL in October of 2010. I see Dr. Keating and am still in watch and wait. I admire your strenght and courage. God is with you and you have many prayers, including mine. Love to you across the miles and hope things get easier as time passes. Brenda

    ReplyDelete