May 12, 2012

Day 9. Me and My Pole.


If you have never spent almost three weeks tethered to an IV pole, you probably do not need to add it to your bucket list! However, in cases like mine, my pole has been my lifeline. Well, at least what has come from the bags hanging on the pole....

When I was first admitted, IV fluids (Chlor Sodium) were started at a high rate per hour to begin the process of keeping my kidneys flushed in protection of the upcoming chemos. That was when I gained 12 1/2 pounds in just over a day! I guess my body acclimated to the new level of fluids, because my weight finally regulated and I had LOTS to document.

Then came the Rituxan, an all day, weekly event. The fludarabine and bendamustine was next to hang on my pole...for three days running. That's when the unpleasant side effects started, but it was a necessary evil to kill the leukemia that had taken over my bone marrow. Next came two days of ATG, an immune suppressant to help my body not reject the new cells I was soon to receive.

Throughout all of this, my lumens (the tubes coming from my CVC...I have three) provided easy access for the administering of all these drugs plus the ability to draw blood for labs every morning without being re-stuck (except for my Tacro check on M/W/F). The labs tell the team what I need that day, and either a bag of potassium or magnesium is usually added to the mix. The Tacrolimus was started before transplant to help protect against GVHD (graft vs. host disease). I have been on it constantly until yesterday when they switched me to pill form in preparation for my release. I will take Tacro for a long time.

On transplant day, the bag of stem cells was hung on the same pole. Some bags were to destroy. Others were to give life. This was one of them.

Others were to relieve pain. Everything from morphine, to reglan, to ativan, to whatever else they've given me. These are drugs they would "push" into one of the extra drug infusion devices further down the tube.

I have also received several doses of Methotrexate, another chemo used for cancer as well as RA and psoriasis. Interesting.

Over the last few days, my pole has become less crowded. At one time, I think I had been up to ten bags, six pumps, two manifolds (one for chemo and one for life sustaining products), and all three lumens in use. I am now down to two bags with only one lumen being used.

My pole goes everywhere with me. To the bathroom, in the shower, on my walks, and in my sleep. It has added physical support when I was too weak to walk alone. "And it walks with me, and it beeps at me, and it tells me I'm not alone.".

Monday, I will be disconnected from my pole and all it has represented and provided. I will have numerous pills to replace what has been flowing directly into my veins. I will no longer have to drag it to the bathroom, have it near the shower, or worry about getting tangled up in my tubes as I sleep. The ATC (Ambulatory Treatment Center) will still use my CVC to administer meds, but the pole won't be going with me.

And I will no longer lean on my pole for support. As has been true throughout the entire journey, I will continue to lean on God and the support of my family and friends.

My pole will be just another memory in the story of new life.


1 comment:

  1. Boy, I can sure relate to the pole.

    Great poem about your mom. Made me cry.

    I'm on long term care and am moving back in a new home in Selmer/Rose Creek Village. It's been 10 months, so the move was pretty big, and I haven't been blogging or commenting on your blog and the other leukemia blogs I follow.

    It's exciting you're doing so well!

    ReplyDelete