May 9, 2012

Day 6, 7. The Pain is Back


I have been doing really well the last few days. I almost feel guilty seeing those around me struggle so much more. My Tacro levels were too high the other day so they reduced the dosage. Fortunately, that resulted in my blood pressure returning to normal. In fact, one nursing assistant thought she should get the nurse because it was down to 100/70. I assured her that was my normal BP. Amazing change.

For the last couple days, the biggest pain has been in my lower back. I assumed it was due to the wonderful accommodations here. :). So yesterday my nurse ordered me an egg crate topper for my bed. It felt heavenly! But it didn't help the pain.

Night before last, my right leg started cramping. First I thought it was a charlie horse, but it wouldn't rub or stretch out. Then I thought that I must have strained it at exercise class. Last night as I was trying to go to sleep, the pain coursed down both legs. That's when I realized what it was. The return of bone pain. :(. I called my nurse and requested that Tramadol be returned to my regular meds.

This was the same pain that began during the early months after diagnosis. After my frontline treatment in March resulted in temporary remission, the pain had subsided. I wasn't expecting this to return. When the nurse came in to check my pain level and bring my medicine, she explained why. The new cells are multiplying which produces the ache beginning in the long bones and moving from there. Lower back, both legs.... By this morning (yes, it's still quite early), the pain has extended throughout my back, down my arms, and into my hands. The Tramadol has to build up in my system before I feel much relief.

But this is good news! The cells are multiplying and making themselves at home. I will know more when I get my blood work results later this morning. Because I had the reduced intensity conditioning chemo, the lowest my WBC has gotten was 0.9. That was on Day 5. Yesterday, on Day 6, we were surprised when it came back at 1.2. We were interested to see if it was a fluke or if it would go up again today. We'll see. I'm beginning to think it was no fluke.

You may recall in previous posts that a reduced intensity regimen relies more on GVL (graft vs leukemia) than the traditional high intensity regimen which gets you all the way down to 0. So the new guys will need to finish killing off the rest of my bad guys (GVL) without killing to much of my good stuff (GVHD).

I used to wonder how fellow transplant buddy, Paul Pavao, could write in the middle of the night. :). I understand now.


UPDATE: My WBC is now up to 1.8. I am definitely engrafting!!

No comments:

Post a Comment