May 28, 2012

Days 24-26. An Anniversary to Remember


After three days back in the hospital, I was released on Saturday afternoon, Day 24, to return to my mom's. I was REALLY tired, but it was good to get home. Saturday night was riddled with bone pain followed by having to be at the ATC at 7am Sunday morning, Day 25. The good thing was that the ATC visit was uneventful and I was able to nap most of the three hours. We were back at mom's by noon. Other than a stint with extreme water weight gain from the steroids and continued bone pain, things were looking up.

The next few hours started what has been a delightful holiday weekend. Paul grilled the best homemade hamburgers ever on the face of the earth! Those along with grilled onions, sauteed mushrooms, provolone cheese, corn on the cob, canteloupe, and watermelon made one happy girl. Actually, all three of us were pretty happy! We then packed a small bag and headed to our house for our anniversary "pass". We might have well have been going to Hawaii! It was THAT good to be home. It's been just over a month. I know that most folks in my situation have to wait much longer than that, so I am very thankful...even for our one and a half days.

We spent the first evening watering the plants, visiting with the neighbors, snacking, dancing, and listening to music on the back porch. And there's nothing quite like being back in your own bed, in your own house. Cooking in my kitchen. Breakfast on the porch. Followed by the sweetest anniversary gift of all time.... Paul weeded my flower beds and let me prune my roses (as long as I didn't touch the dirt, wore my mask and gloves, and didn't pick up the pieces). This may sound silly to you, but it was beautiful to me. Later as he taped the Saran Wrap over my CVC so I could take a shower (after the first time actually being dirty in over a month), tears rolled down my cheeks to think of all the ways he has taken care of me.

Tonight he is going to grill portabella mushrooms and goat cheese, and pineapple spears (yum!) that we'll enjoy with cold boiled shrimp, cheese, bread, and a non-alcoholic apple wine that a friend gave us to enjoy for the occasion. (Too many meds for alcohol!).

Tomorrow morning at 7:40am will find us back at MDA for tests and whatever comes next, but for tonight we have our home and the greatest gift of all...another anniversary with the love of our life.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations! I couldn't eat a hamburger for weeks after my transplant. I'm so glad you're off the liquid diet and able to enjoy your anniversary.

    Btw, the roses don't sound silly at all. We all have little things that are precious to us, and getting those things back settles us more than some of the big things.

    ReplyDelete