May 13, 2012

Day 11. Happy Mother's Day. A Poem for my Mama.

MAMA

The memories of my mama are more than I can name,
But I think the least that I can do is try all the same.

Mama is a pretty lady; always has been.
Her blue eyes were only for daddy, no other men.

Our home was always perfect, tidy as can be.
She taught me very young how to vacuum, dust, and sweep.

Mama ironed everything, down to daddy's handkerchiefs.
She taught me to iron, probably to keep me out of mischief.

Mama was always in the kitchen preparing wonderful meals.
We had three squares daily prepared with love, care, and squeals.

Mealtime was family time all along the way,
Sharing food, dessert, and the events of the day.

Mama sewed all my clothes until junior high.
"Stand up straight, don't sway your back, hold your shoulders high.

She sewed for me, for Barbie, and for Chrissy, too,
And was sad when I found the gift a little bit too soon.

I helped Mama in the kitchen by setting the table and pouring the tea.
Later she taught me to shuck the corn, make a crust, and clean and snap the beans.

I watched my mama take care of our home,
Take care of my daddy, rarely leave me alone.

I watched her exercise to Jack Lalanne,
And twist on her Twister board to stay in shape.

She watched her shows and ate cottage cheese.
She taught me manners and to always say please.

I can still see her smile and hear her giggle
When daddy would nuzzle her neck and nibble.

Mama always drove me to school, just to be safe,
Then enjoy milk, cookies, and a chat for an afternoon break.

When Ron was old enough to watch me the few times they'd go out,
We would trick them with a belt snap, a scream, and a shout.

Mama would come running as fast as she could,
Saying, "Don't hurt my baby," as if he ever would.

When I was sick, she would run her slender fingers through my hair.
Even now, all grown up, no other can compare.

I didn't know 'til I grew up that Mama always watched
As I'd walk to Kay's or to the store, only a couple blocks.

Mama was always at my recitals, concerts, and plays.
She was my biggest fan, forever and always.

Mama liked to get dressed up and go to Dean Goss or The Windmill.
She taught me to appreciate the special times that were always such a thrill.

Mama taught me grace and beauty and things of elegance;
Yet she loved the lake, the boat, and having lots of fun.

This quiet lady wasn't always quiet.
She could fuss with the best if we were making a riot.

But Ron would just pick her up and carry her out the door.
She'd be giggling and wiggling; his trouble was no more.

I couldn't pull that off, so I just got stuck
With a spanking after church for rolling my gut.

Mother quizzed me on spelling, on math, and on history.
She wanted me to work hard and be all I could be.

She taught me the importance of doing for others,
To go to showers and weddings, write thank you's, send flowers.

We talked about boys and she told me her secrets,
Shared her heart when she thought I might need it.

She taught love of family, both near and far;
To spend time together wherever you are.

She showed the love of God in her own gentle ways,
And taught me to trust Him all of my days.

I watched her pick up the pieces of her broken heart
And work hard to be strong when falling apart.

Years have now passed. She loves her sweet babies who came from her own,
And multiplied joy to watch how they've grown.

Mama became Mama O to all her little ones.
But for me, she's always Mama, the very best mom.

I love you, Mama.
Happy Mother's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment