May 20, 2012

Days 13-18. ATC, Easy as 1, 2, 3. ATC! Oops, nope!


(I started writing this post Friday morning. Wasn't expecting to have to make such drastic additions and changes....)

I'm sure that the Jackson Five didn't quite have that in mind when writing their ABC song.... Since being discharged on Monday, I have spent the majority of each of the next days in the ATC (Ambulatory Treatment Center). The drill is the same. I start with labs, which they fortunately still take from my CVC so I am not getting poked everyday (except on M/W/F when they check my Tacro levels). Then I go sign in at the ATC, get my vitals and weight checked, get my room assignment, hop on the bed, appreciate the newly delivered warm blankets, and wait for the nurse to hook me up to my pole holding three hours of IV fluids. During the three hours, I see either the advanced nurse practitioner or the doctor. They get the results of my labs and determine if I need anything else (like magnesium, potassium, blood, or platelets). So far my numbers have been perfect and I haven't needed anything except the fluids (which they continue to give to protect my kidneys from damage from all the meds). I take a nap, eat lunch, and visit with my daily care driver. I am usually gone for at least six hours.

What a blessing each of these people have been! This week I have been blessed by my Aunt Polly, my business buddy Dave (please continue to pray for him as he enters a new trial at the end of the month), my Aunt Dottie, and my friend Renee. Aunt Polly took another day to grocery shop for us since my mom is still recuperating from her fall. She is doing much better, but the doctor's are still working toward the root problem.

This weekend, my Bethany is coming to care for and spend time with us, giving Paul a bit of a break. Sweet Sarah & Alan Przybyla are providing dinner for us on Friday, I continue to receive notes, calls, and cards of prayer, support, and love. God is working through each of you to encourage and provide.

1 Corinthians 12:4-6
"There are different kinds of gifts, but the same Spirit distributes them. There are different kinds of service, but the same Lord. There are different kinds of working, but in all of them and in everyone it is the same God at work."

Because my numbers had been so good, I had been given a weekend pass. They were going to send home my fluids with a portable pump. Then came Friday. I didn't feel as well from the start of the day. Hadn't really slept well, felt extra tired and...slow. When Renee and I arrived, there was no delay in getting my labs and we got to the ATC a little early. Vitals and weigh in indicated that my blood pressure was a bit low (maybe that's why I felt so tired) and I'd lost the pound I'd managed to gain. It took a while to get my room assignment, but when we did the nurse came in announcing that my potassium level was elevated and that I would have to drink these two bottles of stuff (Sodium Polystyrene Suspension, tasting like disgustingly sweet caramel liquid sand) and have an EKG. Goodness. Who would think that elevated potassium would be such a big deal!

During this time, my headache had begun to increase and my regularly icky tummy was progressively getting worse. The disgusting caramel suspension didn't help. By the time our lunch was delivered, I was to the point of not being able to get but a few bites down, which probably ended up being a good thing. The potassium reducing drink I consumed earlier was supposed to make me go to the bathroom. Well, my constant companion, constipation, was not helping the cause. Finally, the caramel liquid won. The rest of the day was mostly a blur of headache, nausea, mixed with trips to the bathroom. Poor, sweet Renee did not get the same calm experience that my other care drivers did. She did all the things a mother would do when her child was sick. Rubbed my back, brought cool cloths, emptied trays, grabbed trash cans, and prayed over me. Thank you, Renee, for taking such sweet care of me. There were a variety of drugs being added to my IV. I have no idea anymore what they were. I just knew I wanted it all to stop so I could go home.

This time a wheelchair ride was necessary to get to the truck, and it was a good thing that I took the puke tray and a cloth with me as they were used all the way home. Paul had to carry me from the truck. Several more hours were spent on the couch with similar results. One of the listed reasons for going to the ER during this time is when nothing can stop the nausea. Some time around 10pm, my Bethany carried me to the truck and Paul hauled it through town back to the MDA ER. Most of that is a painful blur as well. More drugs, more tests (CT, x-rays, etc.), more headache, more nausea.... We "slept" off an on waiting for various drugs to take effect. They ended up giving me dilaudid, which is supposedly ten times stronger than morphine. That worked. Of course it knocked me out as well. About 12 hours after arriving, I was conscious enough to be wheeled back out to the truck and go home.

After a while, Bethany made the best scrambled eggs and biscuits I've ever had! It was the first meal that has tasted good in ages. Once it was clear that I was out of the woods, Paul went home to hang out with Nathan for a while and get a good night's sleep. Us three girls watched (and napped through) a musical, played cards, ate supper (by then I could only handle jello), visited, and got to bed early. At least I did.

Today, Day 18, Bethany is taking me to MDA for my daily ATC visit. I didn't get my free weekend. Maybe next week. As I have tried to do, I will continue to take one day at a time.

Please continue to pray for the headache and intestinal issues. They seem to be my constant reminder that I still have a ways to go. Please also pray that my potassium levels stay good! I did get the wonderful news that I can now have oranges and melons (that are whole and we peel ourselves). I'm going to have a fruit party as soon as I feel well enough.

I still tire easily, but each day brings new strength.

Isaiah 40:31
"But those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not faint."

No comments:

Post a Comment